Questions - 6.5 Creedmoor build

Mike027

Good afternoon,

I am considering making a visit to the local gunsmith to discuss having him build me a 6.5 creedmoor off a Remington 700 BDL in 22-250 that I had picked up on my last trip out west. I have a couple of questions and I was hoping you could point me in the right direction.

This rifle will be used primarily as a carry rifle for mule deer and antelope. There is also the possibility that I could use it on elk (within reasonable range). I also would use this rifle as my practice gun at the range so I decided on the 6.5CM because of its reported light recoil (I have never fired one).

For barrel length I was thinking 24" or 25". Does that sound appropriate?

I did some research on barrel twist and it looks like 1:8 should work. ????

Any guidance you can offer is most appreciated.

Thanks. Mike

The 6.5 Creedmoor is a great rifle for deer and Antelope we have used the 65 284 for Elk out to in a little bit past a thousand yards it's the same bullet less velocity so yes you can use it for Elk but you can have to keep your shots around 600 for elk. 24 inch barrel is perfectly fine for what you looking for

I'd do a 22" barrel on a carry gun, we are only talking about ~44 grains of powder to burn. I'd have no problem shooting Elk out to around 500 in good conditions with my 6.5cm

Thanks Tony. On a side note the barrel contour will depend on the manufacturer correct? I mean a #4 contour may vary between Shilen, Bartlien, etc. ??

I have a #4 fluted Hart barrel on a Rem 700 semi custom build and I think it's an excellent choice for a carry weight gun.

Also, I'd agree with 257Tony and seriously consider a 22 inch tube for a 6.5 Creed build that was going to be a carry gun. I have a couple shorter barreled rifles and they sure are handy, especially when you screw a suppressor on the end. :D

I just finished up a 6.5X47 that may be similar to what you are looking for. #3 Benchmark 25", Remington SA, Trigger Tech, Remington floor plate, Wildcat stock, Z5 5-25x52 BT. Finished right at 8 lbs.

My wife has a 22'' 6.5 creed precision rifle and a 24'' hunting rifle.

With the same ammunition, there is only 30fps between the two rifles.

I appreciate all the replies. Well I went ahead and met with the smith and we ordered a Kreiger #4 contour and we will decide on the final length later. Does this contour sound good? I need to decide on a stock next. I would love to have a McMillan but the budget will probably dictate a BC or HS.....will need discuss with the boss.

I have a Ruger re-barreled by ER Shaw at 25.5 inch in their varmint contour with helical flutes and a brake. Weighs about 10.5, 140 gr berger runs 2745 fps with H4350.

I like the weight of my Weatherby Accumark 30-06 (my normal meat gun) and that runs about 7 & 3/4 pounds (without the scope). I would like to keep it in that area if I could.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.