Question

Dinky

OK, I know I ask for a lot of handholding and reassurance as I creep carefully back into reloading--but, coward that I am, if I ever decide to shuffle off this mortal coil, it will not involve the undertaker picking pieces of a Remington 700 action out of my sinuses!

My gunsmith used two loads in my 300 RUM--one, using a load of RL25 and the 130 gr TTSX, and the other, RL 25 behind the 180 Accubond, pretty much equal to the maximum loads listed in the Barnes and Nosler manuals, respectively. Both targets were just under .5 inch.

Now I do not intend to just charge up those max loads and start blasting away. After all, while I am using exactly the same brass, primers, powder, and bullets--even the same COL he did, I have different lots.

Question is--would you feel safe, under these circumstances, staring somewhere in the middle of the loading tables--as opposed to dropping back to minimum charges?

Thanks very much.

I start in the middle with my 300 RUM and have had no issues.

Seems the smith has tested you rifle somewhat by loading two different loads to near max. I don't think you will have issues starting in the middle, unless you are not confident in your equipments ability to accurately measure powder and seat bullets consistently at the same depth.

I my RUM seems to always shoot better at or near max. I think most do.

Good info, Barrelnut. My equipment is all new and I have all the measurement tools
For verification--except for standard weights to test the scale, and I figure on using a few different weights of bullets for that.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.