Question regarding Model 70 magazines

therifleman556

I've run into a small issue with my Model 70 EW. I modified the magazine to be able to use 3.000" + over all lengths but I don't feel that's the cause so far.

I'm using the 142 Lehigh Controlled Chaos. For those who aren't familiar with them, they've got a pretty substantial hollow point (read WIDE). More than occasionally, the cartridge feeding from the left side (ejector side) will hit the extractor cut in the barrel and stop the bolt.

I think I rectified the issue by bending the follower spring to put more pressure on the front. After this, feeding was perfect for the last half dozen tries.

I guess my question is: are the follower springs different for the WSM rifles, maybe stronger? Or does anyone make an extra power spring? I think I might also scare up a long action follower and grind it to fit so I don't have the .200" gap between it and the mag box.

I'm assuming that your rifle is a 308, and that you took out the mag block. That's likely to cause feeding issues, because as you noted, now the follower is too short for the magazine.

To answer your question, 308-family Win 70's and WSM's use the same magazine spring.

I've installed a WSM mag box (which doesn't have the magazine block) and a WSM follower in a 308 and it fed dummy rounds flawlessly. You might try going that route. The parts are available at Midwest Gun Works.

Sorry, it's too late in the evening. I should have said, "I'm assuming that your rifle is a 308-family", as in 7-08.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.