Question - pressure or poor primer seating

roklock

Hello,

I am still trying to work up a load for my 300 wsm, Coyote lite, Model 70, 24" barrel.
Using 208 gr AMAX's and loading long, and current loads are .010 off the lands.

This batch was RL17, started 61gr and stopped at 64.5gr due to heavy bolt lift.

At 63.5gr and 64gr I was getting deeper than normal cratering. I have attached pics to try and show what I mean. Is this pressure signs or me doing a bad job off seating the primer correctly?

IMG_2328-A_zpshwqh1yuz.jpg

IMG_2329-A_zpsvltkeue2.jpg

slight pressure, primer cratering, I would reduce or look for a little slower burning powder recipe, just my opinion

I agree. That's pressure. Hard to tell just from primers a lot of times because they can be misleading. BUT - your second pic shows shows shiny ejector marks on the 3 (left cartridge) and on the S (on the right cartridge). That's pressure for sure. You should still back off some. Might not blow up on you, but will shorten case life and cause loose primer pockets sooner.

+PLUS - you are probably aware RL17 is pretty temp sensitive (no matter what the marketing says). It is good that you are working up the load in the summer, but still this needs to be thought about.

I got pressure signs about like yours in my 300 WSM with: RL17 63-63.5gn and 215 Hybrids with Norma brass with F215M. I bet if you come down to 62-62.5gn you will see those shiny ejector marks go away.

I got pressure signs about like yours in my 300 WSM with: RL17 63-63.5gn and 215 Hybrids with Norma brass with F215M. I bet if you come down to 62-62.5gn you will see those shiny ejector marks go away.

Yeah, I started another thread...I'm thinking the same thing. Thanks for the feedback

I was thinking the rl 19 but sounds like you are on the right track, I think Barrel Nut was correct about lowering charge if you stay with rl 17

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.