Question on twilight factor how doe's one read the numbers?

Gabe V

Question on twilight factor how doe\'s one read the numbers?

Twilight factor on a scope what do these numbers mean or how do you read them like on a Swarovisk PV 4-16x50 twilight factor 11-28. And on a PV 6-24x50 and a twilight factor 17-35 what doe's it mean? Thanks Gabe

Re: Question on twilight factor how doe\'s one read the numbers?

You can send me your Swarovski and I'll figure it out for you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Just kidding, but I am looking for a new scope and this sounds interesting.

Re: Question on twilight factor how doe\'s one read the numbers?

Twilight factor is a marketing play on numbers that is close to meaningless. It's calculated by multiplying the magnification power by the objective lens diameter in millimeters then finding the square root of this product. Example: a 10 x 40 scope has a twilight factor of 20.

Twilight factors were originally used (I think) for binoculars but have also been used for other scopes. Higher twilight factors are supposed to indicate better image quality than lower ones when used at dawn or dusk (twilight time). A higher number usually means a brighter image but not always but has little to do with image sharpmess. In reality lens quality and how they're mounted and aligned do more to effect image quality than other stuff.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.