Question on Sierra TMK and TGK vs SMK

I've shot the Nosler 168 CC out to 1230 yards. The Sierra 168 SMK seemed to shoot the same. I'm at 2200 ft elevation. But even at sea level I shot the Sierra 168 gr out to 900-1000 yards and don't recall tumbling. I'm sure it happens because it's been reported to. I'm just saying that's not been my experience to the best of my recollection. This is with my PSS 308 Win.

For 30+ years I have used the 7mm 150gr MK in my Silhouette Competition 7mm-08 with 44.5gr of IMR-4350. Then I ran out and couldn't find any. But I did find here some 160gr TMK's and I will be trying them this weekend with IMR-4451. I'll post results.

Excellent and thank you! I've got a 7mm-08 that I'd love to shoot some Sierras out of and I have 4451 so that would be great if it works well

The 168 is unstable in the trans sonic region (less than 1.2 Mach) due to it steep boattail angle. Typically some where around 800 yds it tumbles in a 308. The 175 doesn't suffer the same issue. The 169 is a closed tip design and tangent ogive. The claimed BC is significantly higher than the 175 IF you need it. Should be easy to tune.

I haven't tried it. My shooting is 600yds or less so the 168 is my normal 308 bullet.

Very interesting! I'm almost out of 175s, so maybe I'll keep an eye out for the 169

I've shot the Nosler 168 CC out to 1230 yards. The Sierra 168 SMK seemed to shoot the same. I'm at 2200 ft elevation. But even at sea level I shot the Sierra 168 gr out to 900-1000 yards and don't recall tumbling. I'm sure it happens because it's been reported to. I'm just saying that's not been my experience to the best of my recollection. This is with my PSS 308 Win.
You're right. Pushing it at sea level to 1000yds takes some work and usually a little extra barrel. Up at your elevation you definitely have an advantage.

I have read the same issues mentioned about 168 SMK at very long range, and I have no personal experience beyond 600 yards with it but at 600 yards in 308 from a 26" barrel was a laser (not best in the wind). The main reason for my reply is if anyone has trouble finding other bullets but can find these and mostly shoots 600 and in, I'd buy with confidence (unless you are competing at a high level). They are not by the way my bullet of choice but with shortages I buy these. In my experience they are very insensitive to seating depth and node, if you have a 308 and it won't shoot these into tiny groups you have a rifle problem, IMHO.

John.

I've shot a fair bit of 30cal 175gr SMK and really like the ease of finding an accurate load. They don't seem to be all that picky on jump.

I've been seeing some 175 tipped mk in stock and wondered what everyone's experience here is with accuracy and pickyness of loads? I tried researching a bit and found some accounts of people saying the tipped version is more picky.

I'm also wondering the same thing about the TGK. I've had good accuracy with the SGK without any pickyness issues and wondered if anyone here has enough experience with the TGK to say if they are just as easy to load or if they're more picky for load and seating depth?
Hello Tac-O ,

I first loaded the .308 Sierra Match King 175gr hollow point for my Rem.700 Milspec 5R rifle with a 24" length , 1:11.25" twist factory barrel . Cartridge maximum overall length of 2.815" , to be able to feed through my factory magazine .
The 175 SMK's shot exceptionally well .
When Sierra introduced the 175gr Tipped Match King bullets , with their slightly higher B.C. , I bought 500 of them , hoping that they would be close to the same level of accuracy as the 175gr SMK with hollow-point , with a slightly better advertised B.C.
I was surprised !!!
Loading the tipped Match King bullets with exactly the same powder charge weight , same primer , in the same brass , at the same cartridge overall length of 2.815" , The 175gr TMK and 175gr SMK shoot into the same hole at 100 yards , and nearly the same point of impact at 600 yards , slightly less drop with the TMK. Velocity on both was the same.
I found them to be nearly identical .

I have used the 175gr. SMK hollow-point in taking 2 Antelope , the first in 2016 at a distance of 640 yards , and the second in 2017 , at a distance of 358 yards . The SMK's performed just like a Berger hunting VLD , massive internal damage , and both exiting . DRT .

DMP25-06

Here are the results I got today:

Rem 700 7mm-08 Varmint
160gr TMK
IMR-4451/ 44.0gr
GM210M
Win Brass
COAL = 2.990"
Group 0.19" @ 100m
Will play with seating depth a bit and see how it goes.

44.5gr opened up to 0.36" and 45.0gr to 0.54"

20211003_095934.jpg