Question on Sierra TMK and TGK vs SMK

Tac-O

I've shot a fair bit of 30cal 175gr SMK and really like the ease of finding an accurate load. They don't seem to be all that picky on jump.

I've been seeing some 175 tipped mk in stock and wondered what everyone's experience here is with accuracy and pickyness of loads? I tried researching a bit and found some accounts of people saying the tipped version is more picky.

I'm also wondering the same thing about the TGK. I've had good accuracy with the SGK without any pickyness issues and wondered if anyone here has enough experience with the TGK to say if they are just as easy to load or if they're more picky for load and seating depth?

The TGK is more picky IMO, I have shot them in a few of my rifles and got them to shoot well.

My bro in laws rifle though, I ended up giving up and switched his over to SMK and was simple and had a load within 20 rounds.

I shoot the 175 TMK in my .308. It's seated over 43.5 grs. of Varget and with 2.240 CBTO. Which is to long to shoot as a mag fed rifle. Rem 700P. I am also getting 2640 fps out of them. If I do my part, they are MOA at a grand.

I do shoot the 90 TGK out of my .243 (which me and my gun love). But you wanted to know out of a .308.

Jason

77tmk have shot excellent at many seating depths in 22 creed. 142 smk really like to be 15-20 off in my prc and creeds.

Interesting. Thanks for all the replies! I may have to get a box of tmk or tgk to try out in my rifle. It seems the experiences are mixed

The TGK is more picky IMO, I have shot them in a few of my rifles and got them to shoot well.

My bro in laws rifle though, I ended up giving up and switched his over to SMK and was simple and had a load within 20 rounds.
I've read the same thing. I guess it's worth a try. But now I'm starting to look for 185 gr Berger loads. Once we can get bullets again lol.

Shooting the TMKs in my 300 Win Mag, quite accurate with RL 26. Also loading the TGK in a .270 Win. Very easy to find accuracy.

Last edited:
I haven't seen a Tipped MatchKing in .277". A .277 Tipped GameKing yes, but not a TMK.

Shooting the TMKs in my 300 Win Mag, quite accurate with RL 26. Also loading the TMK in a .270 Win. Very easy to find accuracy.
Apologies, TGK in the .270 for the better half's deer hunt this October. We both are drawn this year.

I would suggest you look at the 169 SMK if you can find it. Solves the 168 issues and a much better BC if you need it.
What are the 168 issues?

Is the 169 preferable over the 175 for some reason? I shoot the 175 with great accuracy.

This is btw, a 30-284 load, not 308win. So slightly better than 30-06 speeds.

Apologies, TGK in the .270 for the better half's deer hunt this October. We both are drawn this year.
Good to know that the .277 TGK is easy to tune. I'll be looking forward to seeing field results. Good luck!!!

For 30+ years I have used the 7mm 150gr MK in my Silhouette Competition 7mm-08 with 44.5gr of IMR-4350. Then I ran out and couldn't find any. But I did find here some 160gr TMK's and I will be trying them this weekend with IMR-4451. I'll post results.

What are the 168 issues?

Is the 169 preferable over the 175 for some reason? I shoot the 175 with great accuracy.

This is btw, a 30-284 load, not 308win. So slightly better than 30-06 speeds.
The 168 is unstable in the trans sonic region (less than 1.2 Mach) due to it steep boattail angle. Typically some where around 800 yds it tumbles in a 308. The 175 doesn't suffer the same issue. The 169 is a closed tip design and tangent ogive. The claimed BC is significantly higher than the 175 IF you need it. Should be easy to tune.

I haven't tried it. My shooting is 600yds or less so the 168 is my normal 308 bullet.