Question on sales tax

Huntz

I bought a rifle from Gun Broker Friday.They want to charge me Wi State sales tax on shipping.Is that kosher?

yep

"

Sales Tax for Buyers

GunBroker.com facilitates the collection of sales tax based on the regulations of the states and the requirements placed on the sellers. If the state you are shipping to requires either GunBroker.com or the seller to collect sales tax, the tax will be added to your order. "

It's pretty rare nowadays to find places that don't charge sales tax on firearms
I was not questioning the sales tax on the rifle.I was questioning paying sales tax on shipping.I have since found out that in Wi.you have to pay sales tax on shipping also.Does not seem right.

I have NEVER heard of anyone charging sales tax on shipping. Sounds like BS to me.

But the govt has become very greedy lately. I recently booked a whitetail hunt and, for the first time, two different taxes were added to my bill. And if that wasn't bad enough, there were 5 seperate fees/taxes added to my rental car at DFW. Together the increase came to 50% !!

I wouldnt get to hasty with gunbroker, There just following the Govt rules. Our govt put into law to collect tax on most all internet purchases, and that includes tax on the shippng cost too. I know I dont like it. Dont like being taxed at all. About the only way to get away from paying tax on shipping is to look for sales that offer free shipping.

Paying taxes for online purchasing was brought on by the brick and mortar stores having to charge taxes while the onlines paid nothing in taxes. The Big Brother added taxes to online purchases to level the playing field. They are charged according the % your state uses.

I was renting cars several times a year to prevent wear and tear on my personal vehicles. But after adding up all the horrific BS taxes per rental, I've chosen to drive my own vehicles and keep accurate records for taxes. Screw 'em!

Paying taxes for online purchasing was brought on by the brick and mortar stores having to charge taxes while the onlines paid nothing in taxes. The Big Brother added taxes to online purchases to level the playing field. They are charged according the % your state uses.

I was renting cars several times a year to prevent wear and tear on my personal vehicles. But after adding up all the horrific BS taxes per rental, I've chosen to drive my own vehicles and keep accurate records for taxes. Screw 'em!

If you want to see REAL taxes, just park your car in NYC or grab a hotel there. LOL

They want to charge me Wi State sales tax on shipping.Is that kosher?
Wisconsin apportions cost of performance of services based on the portion of services received inside the state - layman's terms if the "shipping" had any "handling" in theory the state level sales tax would be imposed upon that cost. Could be a miscode by GB, could be them being conservative, could be them not giving a Flying F and putting sales tax on everything.

On a monthly basis I'm usually short about $100-500 in collecting sales taxes, and I end up eating that as a frictional cost. I'm a "round down" on the customer kind of guy, with enough transactions that adds up to real dollars for me. When I over-withhold sales taxes I remit every single penny of it to the state it was charged in, but I do try to not over-withhold. Lot's of places would rather over-withhold and make you eat the cost instead.

Texas has a state level sales tax plus an allowance for localities to charge an 2% additional rate, so generally online taxes under SD v. Wayfair we only get ripped for 6.25% and not the extra 2% localities can impose. That was a mother-effer of a case, completely changed the landscape for sales taxes in the entire country.

If you want to see REAL taxes, just park your car in NYC or grab a hotel there. LOL
I had a client once who owed NY 2.3% of gains on his stock options vested over a 10 year period. Every fall he would write a paper check, by hand, and mail it in with a hand-written voucher. I kept telling him that the state would penalize him, he had to pay online, yada yada yada, but in his words "they know who I am, they sued me for this money, they'll take it how they get it". And sure enough, I never heard a peep from the state for an entire decade. They literally counted the number of hours this guy was in the state from flight records from the FAA and proved out he was there over the threshold for meetings in a few of the 30+ years he worked for the company. Greedy bastids up there in Albany and NYC.

Collecting sales tax on online orders passed a couple years ago. There is a criteria that needs to be met. Something along the lines as 1,000 transactions a month or a certain dollar amount per month or year. Most places, like us, are way to small to be required to collect it. Gunbroker, on the other hand, is big enough to meet the requirements and has to collect and distribute to the appropriate states. They also add a fee of about 2% on top of it, but that might have been reduced to 1% just recently. On top of that, certain locals charge their own online tax, like Colorado. Furthermore, some states charge sales tax on shipping and others do not. I am not sure if that is a typo on Gunbroker's behalf or actually coming from those states. There are three states that don't have sales tax, so it is not added on top of the sale.

From WI Dept of Revenue: the bold is from them.

Does sales tax apply to shipping in Wisconsin?
When are delivery charges taxable? When a retailer sells taxable products or services which are subject to tax, and the retailer charges the purchaser for delivery, the retailer's total charge, including the delivery charge, is taxable.