Question on reloading for 7PRC

deerslayer64d

I have a 7 STW I have a great load for using H4831 ,not the fastes load or with the heavy bullets but very accurate using 140 gn NBT's .
That being said I've now had a 7 PRC built using a rem 700 action and a shilling ( sp)? #5 26" barrel I'm working on a load for using H1000 and the 175 gn ELD X , so far the most accurate load is 63.0 grains giving a 1,1/4" group's @ 200 yards ( I'm waiting on a crono to arrive) date shows it should be @2700 fps. Anyway I'd like to try the H4831 but have no idea where to start as there is no data I can find , the 7 STW uses 76.40 grains but I now the 7 PRC won't be anywhere near that much . Has anyone tried H4831 and can give me a ballpark range ? Thank's in advance!

This will help. Click the tab that says "Rifle" and then scroll down to "7PRC". Plenty of data from Hodgdon.

BULLET WEIGHT
175 GR. NOS ABLR
CASE
HORNADY
PRIMER
FEDERAL 215M, LARGE RIFLE MAGNUM

Starting LoadMaximum Loads
ManufacturerPowderBullet Diam.C.O.LGrs.Vel. (ft/s)PressureGrs.Vel. (ft/s)Pressure
HodgdonH4831BUY NOW0.284"3.300"57.02,66048,000 PSI63.32,92362,300 PSI

I have a 7 STW I have a great load for using H4831 ,not the fastes load or with the heavy bullets but very accurate using 140 gn NBT's .
That being said I've now had a 7 PRC built using a rem 700 action and a shilling ( sp)? #5 26" barrel I'm working on a load for using H1000 and the 175 gn ELD X , so far the most accurate load is 63.0 grains giving a 1,1/4" group's @ 200 yards ( I'm waiting on a crono to arrive) date shows it should be @2700 fps. Anyway I'd like to try the H4831 but have no idea where to start as there is no data I can find , the 7 STW uses 76.40 grains but I now the 7 PRC won't be anywhere near that much . Has anyone tried H4831 and can give me a ballpark range ? Thank's in advance!
If you are not pushing that 175 to at least 3000, you need to go with a higher powder charge. My 280ai is at 2850 fps with a 24" barrel. With 63 grains of H1000 you are 4 grains under book max, you are leaving a lot on the table for that cartridge.

When I started loading with the h1000 I went from the min load to the max load in 1/2 grain increments and the 63 gave the best group, tho the barrel only has just over 120 rounds down the tube and is just getting broke in or seasoned if you like ,

When I started loading with the h1000 I went from the min load to the max load in 1/2 grain increments and the 63 gave the best group, tho the barrel only has just over 120 rounds down the tube and is just getting broke in or seasoned if you like ,
I don't want to sound like an ******* but a 7 prc shooting a 175 eldx at less than 3000fps is not enough. I would work back up to pressure and change the seating depth. You can do a lot of group size work with seating depth. Like I said shooting a 7 prc at that low of a load is a waste of time and waste of cartridge.

Noted ,
The crono came today so I will be at the range in the morning ( weather permitting) to see what the velocities are in both factory 175& 180 bullets as well as my hand loads of 63 grains of H1000
I don't want to sound like an ******* but a 7 prc shooting a 175 eldx at less than 3000fps is not enough. I would work back up to pressure and change the seating depth. You can do a lot of group size work with seating depth. Like I said shooting a 7 prc at that low of a load is a waste of time and waste of cartridge.

Why not shot the 175's out of your stw? That's what I shoot in one of mine and shoot the 140s out the prc. Just curious 🤔.
I guess I'm just old and figure if it's not broke don't fix it on the stw , I have shot the same hand load in the stw since it was first made a factory round many years ago and it shoots nice little bug holes so why mess with it 🤷. On the Prc I tried the factory 180's and the factory 175's ( that's all that's available) to sight in and break in and to have brass to load and it seemed to like the 175's better so that's what I started loading and went from a min load to max load with the H1000 in 1/2 grain increments and the 63 grain load gave 1 1/4 " groups @ 200 yards ( not great but minute of dead on dear size game! I will do the same with the H4831 and see if it likes it any better once I free up some brass today.

Why not shot the 175's out of your stw? That's what I shoot in one of mine and shoot the 140s out the prc. Just curious 🤔.
If the STW is a factory 9-1/2 twist w/factory mag box length is going to have trouble stabilizing the 175 which calls for an 8-1/2 or faster twist. Bullets will be pushed deep in the case to feed. Custom rifle with longer box and faster twist won't have those issues. 7 PRC would still have the better chamber and efficient case design.