Question on parallax ...

dwm

If I have a Leupold 6.5x20 50mm LRT scope and I adjust the parallax for 100 yards, how far beyond 100 yards will it remain parallax free or close enough?

Do I need to adjust it again for 150 yds, 200 yds, 250 yds, 300 yds, etc ....?

...the yardage markers serve only as a good starting place to adjust out parallax... after focusing at a particular range, move your eye left & right, up & down to see if the crosshair moves... continue tweaking the focus until the movement is eliminated... sometimes, unfortunatley, the parallax free image is not the brightest, but the brighter means nothing if the poi is moving around on you... hope this helps... Larry

It really depends on what power setting that you have your scope set to. If you have it set on 15x then you will probably have to adjust the AO down to 50 yrd mark to get it clear for 100 yrds.
Just adjust the AO until your site picture is clear at what ever distance or power setting your using.

I never look at the yardage marks, I just turn the ring it until it's in focus.

Hope this helps.
Zod

...Zod is correct... yardage markers are only for general referencing... once you have your "sharp image" dialed in, be sure to double check for reticle movement... sharp image does not necessarily guarantee you're parallax free... thanks, Larry

dwm

The parallex effect reduces with magnification.

If taking multiple shots at different ranges, dial the zoom down to 6.5X before hand. Of course you will loose on magnification, but the accuracy gained by reducing parallax will more than make up for this.

If you wish to set your parallex at one certain range that is most appropriate for all ranges, a general rule of thumb is to set the parallex a two thirds of the maximum range you will be shooting at.

Rgds

The two 6.5X20LRT's I have don't have range marks on the A.O. dial, just unlabeled hash marks. If your trying to shoot tiny critters or small groups you would need to reset your paralax for each range. For big game hunting I set mine on a 200 yard target, leave it alone unless I have time to re-adjust it (most elk don't stand still long enough
grin.gif
) If the crosshairs don't shift when you move your head but the target seems blurry, re-focus your eyepiece. When set properly the target will be clear and the crosshairs will be glued to the target.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.