Question on grouse

Try RWS subsonic 22. With my Silencerco Spectre II, all you here is the firing pin and it cycles my 10/22 without fail. Great for squirrels.
Wow I'm really liking the looks of that…and it actually is a pound (unloaded). Never knew it existed. With it cycling subsonic, threaded, laser, and 10 oz lighter I will likely have one in my future. Now if I can only just find one to put my hands on.

air pistol, find a used Crosman 1322. .22 caliber pellets, pump 1 to 10 times. Still makes some noise. plenty accurate and powerful, but stick with head shots. .22 with CB caps, BB caps, CB shorts, or CB longs. Wrist rocket with ball bearings work if you practice enough. Take-down longbow or recurve.

I backpack into high country wilderness areas and hunt deer and elk with a muzzleloader.

I need a compact and quiet weapon to take the grouse encountered almost daily to cook in camp and think a quality air pistol may be the answer.

Does anyone have an idea?

Thanks
I would recommend a Crosman 1322 Air Pistol with the rifle stock attachment. Add a UTG Bug Buster Compact Scope and you have a package that you can head shoot grouse or rabbits at 20 yds. I use a 15.9 gr JSB pellet to get this type of accuracy
I backpack into high country wilderness areas and hunt deer and elk with a muzzleloader.

I need a compact and quiet weapon to take the grouse encountered almost daily to cook in camp and think a quality air pistol may be the answer.

Thanks
I would recommend a Crosman 1322 with the optional rifle stock. There are hundreds of modifications available for this pistol. I added a steel breech, which allows for mounting a scope or red dot sight. 14" barrel, trigger adjustment kit, and a better air transfer port. With these modifications I get 420 fps with 15.9 gr JSB pellets, dime size groups at 20 yds. I also have a UTG 3x12 scope mounted. It is loads of fun to shoot and plenty of power to take squirrls, rabbits and grouse at reasonable ranges.
I backpack into high country wilderness areas and hunt deer a,nd elk with a muzzleloader.

Thanks

Buck-rail.com has a bunch of 3d printed mods for crosman including a suppressor. Veteran owned.. good stuff. I have a 2240 and 1322 kitted out with his products as well as many other mods you can find on eBay.. it's **** near endless.
UsingHaendler & Natermann Hornet Pointed Airgun Pellets, High-Impact, Super-Penetrating for Hunting.22 Caliber, 16 Grains you can take care of grouse during regular season with very little noise. As stated else where ensure air rifles are legal for grouse. I'm MT you can .. even for fall turkey now. The holster situation for these set-ups is a bit more challenging.

So this thread coming out several months ago burrowed it's way into the recesses of my mind and wouldn't let go. I've always kept a grouse gun in the truck if I tagged out early on elk but only had rock throwing as an option while actively hunting.

As a backpack hunter I really can't even begin to consider bringing a second weapon. I'm just not willing to take the penalty for a wrist rocket never mind a pistol or air gun. I work hard to keep my pack light and that is really the wrong direction towards that goal.

So I started down the path of gallery loads… I have a rifle with me elk hunting… why in the heck can't I make it work for elk and grouse???

Well I have arrived at my destination. A .310 caliber round ball at 44grains over 2 grains of titegroup. Sounds like a cap gun. Puts those little round balls inside a quarter at 25 yards.

I hunt with a fixed 4x S&B on a 30-06 and keep my elk rounds 3.5" high at 100yards for mpbr shooting. This puts those little round balls right in the bullseye at 25yrds. If you dial that's an easier option.

152 grain hammer hunter on the left and 44gr round ball on the right. This season I'll be carrying 4 of each. That's a weight penalty I can live with.

Attachments

• 170592AA-F780-488C-8E1C-BAAC8B6C1A83.jpeg
    170592AA-F780-488C-8E1C-BAAC8B6C1A83.jpeg
    997.1 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
So this thread coming out several months ago burrowed it's way into the recesses of my mind and wouldn't let go. I've always kept a grouse gun in the truck if I tagged out early on elk but only had rock throwing as an option while actively hunting.

As a backpack hunter I really can't even begin to consider bringing a second weapon. I'm just not willing to take the penalty for a wrist rocket never mind a pistol or air gun. I work hard to keep my pack light and that is really the wrong direction towards that goal.

So I started down the path of gallery loads… I have a rifle with me elk hunting… why in the heck can't I make it work for elk and grouse???

Well I have arrived at my destination. A .310 caliber round ball at 44grains over 2 grains of titegroup. Sounds like a cap gun. Puts those little round balls inside a quarter at 25 yards.

I hunt with a fixed 4x S&B on a 30-06 and keep my elk rounds 3.5" high at 100yards for mpbr shooting. This puts those little round balls right in the bullseye at 25yrds. If you dial that's an easier option.

152 grain hammer hunter on the left and 44gr round ball on the right. This season I'll be carrying 4 of each. That's a weight penalty I can live with.
Probably the best thing about the Wrist Rocket grouse is, no shot fired. Don't forget, those 06 sub loads, would only be legal for grouse with an unfilled, deer or Elk tag. Good luck with the roundball loads, hope ya bag a few.

Last edited:
between you and me I carry my 28 or 410 O/U for Grouse , don't just want to wound them with the air guns. Have my S & W 22a with me also. Enjoy the season this year, will be making my annual grouse hunts up in New England this year and have loaded up NP shot again-. Good luck this year !!!!

Don't forget, best thing about the Wrist Rocket grouse is, no shot fired.Good luck with the roundball loads, hope ya bag a few.
Yeah… but that wrist rocket is 16oz and takes up valuable pack space. In contrast 4 of these rounds add 2oz and fit easily in my bino harness side pocket. Running subsonic there is a reason these loads are referred to as cat sneeze or mouse fart loads. Nowhere near as quiet as a wrist rocket, but not going to blow all the animals off the mountain side either. It's a compromise for sure, life is full of those.

Attachments

• 5EE2B13F-2EAB-43D5-B50E-106E0E3C32D9.jpeg
    5EE2B13F-2EAB-43D5-B50E-106E0E3C32D9.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 66