Question on concentricity, or lack thereof

Gar Guru

Am loading some .300BLK for my son to pig hunt with using the Barnes 110 gr bullets that have a long and pointed black tip. They are flat base so I have to use a lee flaring die to open them up for seating just a little, and then use the factory crimp die to bring the neck O.D. back into specs. The problem is that not very much of the base of the bullet is down in the case and if you lay a finished round on its side and roll it they wobble terribly. They shoot fine but he limits shots to 100 yards. How do i get these bullets to load straight into the case?

A couple things I would try:

1. Instead of expanding the neck, try chambering the inside of the neck more to provide a ramp for the bullet to begin seating.

2. Take a careful look at the bullet seating plug to see if the bullet is able to wobble around in it. Maybe the tip of the bullet is contacting the plug and moving around.

Inside neck chamfer a little more, are they VLD bullets? If you can see them wobbling rolling on their side you got some pretty bad runout it sounds like. Loaded a lot of flat bottom bullets thru the years and never had to do anything but seat. How far are they going into the case roughly?

Am loading some .300BLK for my son to pig hunt with using the Barnes 110 gr bullets that have a long and pointed black tip. They are flat base so I have to use a lee flaring die to open them up for seating just a little, and then use the factory crimp die to bring the neck O.D. back into specs. The problem is that not very much of the base of the bullet is down in the case and if you lay a finished round on its side and roll it they wobble terribly. They shoot fine but he limits shots to 100 yards. How do i get these bullets to load straight into the case?
I load the Hornady V-Max in mine and are a square flat base. The first few I loaded actually stretched the case and you could see the distinct line of the flat base through the neck almost like a rat in a snakes body (sorry for the crude analogy).

I had to really inside chamfer the neck mouth and make sure they were going in straight. Try that and make sure it gets a decent start when you set the bullet in. Press it in just a touch and turn the case 120* at a time and press incrementally until it's seated. This helped me.

Have you tried seating them deeper?

When I was researching mine I was thinking they made a case lube that was non degradeable for the powder people would use on the bullet bottom or inside case neck. Imperial sizing wax? I could be way off as it's been a while. Hornady one shot case lube spray I use is supposed to be powder safe and I haven't had any issues. I spray the whole case at a 45* angle and even inside the necks some before I size.

Last edited:
A little powdered graphite with a q-tip will help but I don't like to use anything in the necks, I like to reach a burnished finish inside with neck brush on the carbon for consistency.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.