Question on bottom metal

The Oregonian

I have one rifle on order and the smith is buying all of the parts, so me ordering parts is a first time thing. I am wanting to go ahead and order a stock for my next build since that is the longest lead time item.

I know there are certain things I need to tell McMillan before ordering, with bottom metal info being one of them. I want BDL style but have a question on length.

I know factory mag length can restrict COAL options...This will be a short action in 260 rem...to allow for longer COAL with VLD's close to the lands, do I need to order a longer bottom metal length if I want a longer mag box than factory? Don't need to order bottom metal now but want to make sure I give McMillan the right info when I order the stock.

Thx

Tom

I have one rifle on order and the smith is buying all of the parts, so me ordering parts is a first time thing. I am wanting to go ahead and order a stock for my next build since that is the longest lead time item.

I know there are certain things I need to tell McMillan before ordering, with bottom metal info being one of them. I want BDL style but have a question on length.

I know factory mag length can restrict COAL options...This will be a short action in 260 rem...to allow for longer COAL with VLD's close to the lands, do I need to order a longer bottom metal length if I want a longer mag box than factory? Don't need to order bottom metal now but want to make sure I give McMillan the right info when I order the stock.

Thx

Tom

Just decide on the standard SA bottom metal you wish to use and let McMillan know. You should have time to tell them with a 6mo wait and inletting is near the end process.

Use a wyatts long box inside the standard bottom metal.

I agree with the Wyatts long box.

Also, did you see that the McMillan Retail Store now carries a few Stocks on hand that only has a 2 - 4 week wait for a custom inlet? I just ordered a McMillan Game Scout with custom inlet and have been promised a 2 - 4 week delivery. I think this is available on Game Scouts and A5's right now, maybe more. I found it on the Retail website after clicking on "Custom Inlet".

I agree with the Wyatts long box.

Also, did you see that the McMillan Retail Store now carries a few Stocks on hand that only has a 2 - 4 week wait for a custom inlet? I just ordered a McMillan Game Scout with custom inlet and have been promised a 2 - 4 week delivery. I think this is available on Game Scouts and A5's right now, maybe more. I found it on the Retail website after clicking on "Custom Inlet".

I am a lefty...need to check but nobody stocks stuff for lefties :).

Thx for the heads up.

I am a lefty...need to check but nobody stocks stuff for lefties :).

Thx for the heads up.

The stocks that are in stock for custom inlet (Game Scouts and A5s) are available in lefty....I just checked. Can get a custom inlet with all your specs in 2 - 4 weeks through the new Retail Store.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.