Question on best PDA or POcket pc for ballistic software

KNHOTROD

So for all of you guys that have played , tried and done this what do you suggest for a PDA or is pocket pc for a ballistic type software. Also what is best program to use? I have done some research and reading, so lets here from pros. I am years behind but getting back into longrange shooting want the best, easiest to run and long lasting and updatable system.

In phone conversations with Gerald Perry of Perry Systems ( Perry-Systems - Ballistic Calculator Software ) make of Exbal, which is the Nightforce ballistic software as well, he reccomends the use of a pocket pc (PPC) for his program in the field. Some guys here use PPC's for Exbal and some use Palm based devices. Gerald has Exbal for either, but reccomends the use of PPCs.

I run exbal on my smartphone, works great! Some pda's will delete programs/files when the battery dies, but my phone doesn't! Plus I can look around on LRH from work:)

The complete package comes in Patagonia Ballistics 3.0, updates are no sweat and easy when new info is needed or a new function is added. The tech support is unmatched and the program in my opinion is unmatched. Functions are very intuitive yet you have the ability to do some very awesome stuff, the library is very good also. Multiple wind zones, multiple tracks and targets the list of things you can do is unbelievable. There are quit a few users on this site that could answer questions much better. I'm running a Dell Axim X51.

i have both "ballistics fte" and "bulletflight" on the ipod touch. i like ballistics fte alittle better than bulletflight. its more user friendly and has more features.:)

I just got a new dell amix 50 off of ebay for $125.00 first time for ebay also. It was complete crade, spare battery, usb, etc. Got the ex-bal program from Defensive edge which was basicly a sd card. Loaded on hand pc and up working, had some trouble at first because there was no directions on actual program but had directions how to load program. Keep in mind electronic gadgets can be tough for me, i grew up in the wrong era. Only problem now my new laptop doesent have a sd slot and i cant get the information to it. Its supposed to do it but will take me some more time. So far handheld with ex-bal is the way to go.
Mike

Mike33, you can get a universal card reader that plugs into your USB for 20-30 bucks, that will let you work with cards.
In Loadbase 3.0 I just set my ppc in the cradle and sync it with the desktop software as they work together.

So for all of you guys that have played , tried and done this what do you suggest for a PDA or is pocket pc for a ballistic type software. Also what is best program to use? I have done some research and reading, so lets here from pros. I am years behind but getting back into longrange shooting want the best, easiest to run and long lasting and updatable system.

Go with windows mobile ppc, you don't need the best pda specially if mostly it will be used to run ballistic programs, you just need one that runs windows mobile 2003 and up.

As stated before, Ebay is a good place to find used and new ones, another Good place for good prices on used ones is the link below.

Top Sellers :: Usedhandhelds.com

When it comes to Ballistic Program I use LoadBase 3.0 from patagoniaballistics.com -- Comes in a bundle for PC and PDA, will have everything you need including G1/G7 drag functions. G7 is the drag function to use for many long range bullets. PDA will synchronize with the computer, this is great because it's nice to create your data in either device and transfer it to the other device. When a group of us bought LoadBase 2.0 we continued getting updates at no charge for quite a while and then we got Upgrade to LB3.0 for both pc and ppc at no charge. I don't know how Patagonia Ballistic does it but many here know this is truthful. I'm not saying it will continue being so, because I don't know, but we (LB3.0D and LB3.0M) users have already gotten many updates for 3.0 at not charge. This makes LB3.0 not only the best IMO but the most inexpensive. An interesting thing is that LB3.0 is a completely different beast from LB2.0, way more powerful easy to run once the concepts are clear in your mind. Great application!!!

i have both "ballistics fte" and "bulletflight" on the ipod touch. i like ballistics fte alittle better than bulletflight. its more user friendly and has more features.:)
Is the program comparable to LOAD BASE? Does it have inputs for angle, temp, wind, pressure, elev., etc? Newby to this stuff, but my kid has I TOUCH

Mike33, you can get a universal card reader that plugs into your USB for 20-30 bucks, that will let you work with cards.
In Loadbase 3.0 I just set my ppc in the cradle and sync it with the desktop software as they work together.

I tried that but doesent want to open ex-bal but will open other parts that really dont interest me. Hate to spend more money but probably will just buy a cd for pc. Any suggestions?
mike

I would assume the version of Exball your loading has to match the opperating system of what your loading it on, PPC version and your computer will probably not be compatible.
Keep in mind I only know enough with computers to be really, really dangerous.:D

Yea kind of learned a lesson with technology, i think i"ll just spend an extra 65.00 and be done with hassles.
mike

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.