Question on best PDA or POcket pc for ballistic software

Don't know much about them but found this from horus vision-

A Trag MX with RECON -$2000

Advertised as ultra rugged, advance ballistics (2,500+ yards), easy to use. This unit is soon to be used by the military snipers.

But the free jbm ballistics on the internet been accurate with all of the loads I worked with for over 1000 yards.

Is the program comparable to LOAD BASE? Does it have inputs for angle, temp, wind, pressure, elev., etc? Newby to this stuff, but my kid has I TOUCH
on the itouch the program literally reads your shot angle and calculates for it. you also can save your favorite loads and pull them up at any time. with the "current conditions" options you can adjust for elevation and what ever else from the base site in info. the program also does spin drift for the twist rate of your barrel and not just generalized. it also does corialis acceleration. it does everything. the iphone can even call (or if you are inrange of wifi the ipod can also) the national weather service and get instant current conditions. on the i phone it can aslo use gps to give you elevation / latitude readings. it has hundreds of bullets and bcs stored in memory and multitude of other options like 3 different range winds, direction of wind in degrees and vertical winds if your shooting off a hill. it will do ballistics accurately well past 2500 yrds.
give it a try its only 20 bucks "ballistics field tactical edition"

alittle hint though use ether altitude or barometric pressure not both or you'll get a double reading
if your ipod does not have the ipod upgrade it will require you to install it (5 bucks)

Last edited:
Thanks Load, M y kid has ha d a I touch for a year, skiing etc, and hasnt wrecked it so I THINK IT WOULD WORK FOR ME and it is small, plus I can Have tunes in my camper:)

i have the KAC bulletflight L2 for my iphone and love it, i went for the L2 because i didnt want to spend the extra $20 to get the military version, plus i doubt i will ever shoot far enough to need the added features the military version has (Coriolis effect calculations and bullet spin drift, etc). only downfall i see is you have to have an itouch or iphone, i dont think they have versions out for pda's or pocket pc's and such. but for more info on it click here: Bulletflight 3.1.0

that is definitely my vote if you have an apple product. plus the KAC website says that this is the software that the military is currently using in iraq.

i have both "ballistics fte" and "bulletflight" on the ipod touch. i like ballistics fte alittle better than bulletflight. its more user friendly and has more features.:)

same 4 me... for windows based, look at my sig...

This seems to be the likely place to ask this beginers question because I think the Patagonia Ballistics web page may have answered it. For years I've noticed that my actual trajectories are not matching the theoretical ones from various tables and the Sierra Infinity program. Even when I enter a make believe B.C. I can't make it match. Basically my actual tragectories (with lots of different bullets), when zeroed at 250 yds, drop more at 550 to 600 yds, match at around 700 to 750, and are considerably flatter past that. Is this because the tables and software I'm using does not account for the B.C. improving as the velocity drops?

I'm knew to the PDA game but found my dell axim x3 will that work as a ballistic calculator? gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.