Question on a second load developed for a rifle

The Oregonian

I have a load that shoots sub .5 MOA groups when I do my job. It is a 30-06 from Darrell Holland on his action (essentially a Borden) with a 24" barrel.

The only load I have used so far is for Nosler BT 180gr for deer. I am going cow elk hunting in August and want a more controlled expansion bullet. I am likely going with a ABLR 190gr.

As far as seating depth, should I start with the same CBTO as the BT? Or start somewhere else?

Thanks in advance.

Those 2 bullets are far from being equal.
I have in the past used a load worked up with the BT and transferred that load to the Accubond with no issues at all. Groups were very similar, as was the POI. As long as your load isn't at the listed maximum, you should be good to go, if not work up again.
I have used the ABLR in 6.5mm in the 129gr pill out of my 264WM, it is very soft this side of 300yrds, and have heard similar with the 30 and 7mm versions.

Cheers.
gun)

I have thought about just using a 180AB...may involve minor tweaking but should be similar to current load. My shots on the cow elk could range from 200 to 500 yds...maybe that is a better bullet for the situation.

Thoughts?

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts