Question on a 300wsm

Hunt4muleys

I have a ruger m77. Does anyone have any suggestions on bullets that will shoot well out of my gun? I hunt deer and elk with it, any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Wow that is a question that could have pages of answers. Depends on how you will use it. Depends on how you are equipped. This is a long range site so here is one suggestion.

My friend has a 300 WSM and asked me to help him make a LR load. The rifle is a browning A-bolt with 23" barrel and a boss. The 215 hybrids had not come out so I used some 230 hybrids which I had on hand. I really didn't expect much and was surprised at the results.

The magazine has a OAL limit of 2.8" which had that long bullet buried in the case. I chose RL-17 and worked up to a very accurate load for a velocity of 2720 fps! Didn't even need to adjust the boss system. His rifle has a Leupold with a M1 turret so he can range and twist for the longer shots.

If you want LR capabilities you could choose one of the heavier Berger match target hybrids like the 215. It should do quite well with RL-17.

If you are hunting normal distances the bullet selection is almost unlimited. Nosler, Hornady, Sierra, Barnes, Speer etc...choose your poison. There are many options from 125 gr to a 200 gr hunting bullets.

I use the Berger 185 VLD hunting with 69 grains H4831SC, Federal LR Magnum primer. I get 2982 FPS (measured 10 feet from barrel muzzle) at 3880 altitude, 59F, 25% RH. Have seen no excessive pressure signs in this load.

BUT MY LOADS COME FROM SEVERAL YEARS OF TESTING AND SHOOTING. APPROACH IT WITH EXTREME CAUTION. EVERY RIFLE IS DIFFERENT. NO SENSE IN MENTIONING COAL AS MINE IS FINE TUNED TO MY RIFLE AND WOULD NOT WORK OR PERFORM IN ANY OTHER RIFLE OTHER THAN THE ONE I SHOOT.

I shoot a 26" Savage Heavy barrel, think a model 12, Nightforce scope, Ken Farrell rings and G-Force base. Accuracy at 100 yards is .5 MOA and actually if I could keep steady through all the shots it would be well below .5 MOA. This will be the first year on Whitetail with the Berger. Last several years it was first with the 190 JLK and then the Hornady 178 AMAX. As far as results with the previous two bullets the JLK was devastating at 100 & 250 yards. The Hornady was ok, 300 yards & 200 yards, but not near as instantly devastating as the JLK. I had some issues getting the JLKs anymore and I just was not quite as impressed with the Hornady, MHO. The real interesting thing is that my POI has shifted between the three different loads only a minor amount. Since the Bergers are close to the JLKs in structure I am expecting excellent results from it. I also expect to get some 400 and 500 yard chances in a few weeks. I'll try and post results the week of Dec 9-13, as I will be back from my hunt. Good luck, it has been a great cartridge and rifle combo for me. My final rifle mod will entail getting a muzzle break put on the beast. Not for recoil, but just for quicker back on target.

I just put a break on mine, but I haven't been able to shoot it much. I'm hoping to get some loads ready to shoot soon.

Really look hard at the Lapua Scenar 155 grain. I made a few quick loads on mine and they shot well. A very well known killer over on 24hourcampfire has used them extensively with amazing results.

Hunt4, loaded 185 gr Berger VLD Hunting with H4350 and 215M primers for my friend. The load shot .620 group @ 100 yds from a Savage stainless 24 inch barrel in a bedded Boyd's thumb hole stock. Next we will tweak seating depth looking for smaller group.
Good luck

If you really want long range you'll have to step into the higher BC bullets, which generally means heavier. Normally, I'd say go with Berger, but not knowing how your Ruger's chamber and magazine are set up a safe bet is the 200 grain Accubond with 7828ssc or RL17. It's easy to load and works really well seated deep to fit into the magazine. The 180s are great bullets too, but the 200 will give you more long range capability if that's what you're looking for.

My MRC1999 with 25" tube likes 180 and 200gr Accubonds over RL19 or RL22 and Fed 215M primer. Wanted to try RL17 and 7828sc but couldn't come up with any recently.

Chris

I would like to shoot long range also. If I shoot the 215 is that to big for deer?
As mentioned by other posters lighter bullets (less than 180 gr) do better in the 300 WSM. But for long distance shooting the 208 Amax runs a BC of .64 so it will do much better for long range any carry better in crosswinds and retain incredible hitting power. Haven't tried the 215 berger since I'm maxed out already with the long 208 in my R1 Benelli. I got them to fit the clip with R19 powder. Depends on what type of rifle you have and the bore back space to lands available. I lose about .25 MOA accuracy running the 208 versus the 165 but the long range gains balance to its favor.

64.5 Gr. Imr 4350 behind a 178 Amax w/ Fed 210 seated about .030 off the lands should get you in the ball park. decent speed and very good accuracy from what i have witnessed in multiple rifles. I start at 62 grains and worked up. i could go hotter but no reason too. I'm getting 2935 fps +/- 10 fps. and 1/2" MOA. plenty enough. Remember we are shooting short mags. from what ive seen the 300 WSM can be a little touchy with pressure so be careful. pay attention to what your rifle is telling you. she will let you know very quickly when you **** her off. 66.5 grains is what the hornady book is calling max.

Another nice load is 63 grains IMR 4350 behind 168 NBT w/ Fed 210. This one likes to jump. i have it set .045. My rifle likes jump if ya haven't noticed.

Good luck and have fun

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.