question nosler reloading data

embork

I have a 7mm wby. could not get berger 180 hybrid targets to shoot. 168 classic hunter shoot one hole if I do my part. so I picked up a box of accubond 175 long range. I use quickload to double check pressure. starting load of imr 7828 is 68 gr. quickload says pressure is 62000 plus. that's scary. berger & sierra max loads are 66.5 & 66.9 which is under nosler starting load of 68. called nosler they said it was ok. but they don't have to pull the trigger. anybody reload this combination? any thoughts will be appreciated. thanks embork

I have a 7mm wby. could not get berger 180 hybrid targets to shoot. 168 classic hunter shoot one hole if I do my part. so I picked up a box of accubond 175 long range. I use quickload to double check pressure. starting load of imr 7828 is 68 gr. quickload says pressure is 62000 plus. that's scary. berger & sierra max loads are 66.5 & 66.9 which is under nosler starting load of 68. called nosler they said it was ok. but they don't have to pull the trigger. anybody reload this combination? any thoughts will be appreciated. thanks embork

Why is it scary when your max is 65,000 PSI. I checked my Nosler 6th ed and that's the same starting load for 175 NP --- 68gr has a load density volume of 90% and 72gr is at 96%. No warning noted for compressed load.

when you put data inio quickload at 80 degrees pressure is 63,817 very high for a starting load. bergers 180 hybrid pressure is 61,048 at max load. sierra max load is 66.9 pressure is 62,232. ive used quickload to check about pressure. I know its not set in stone. but its helps. noslers data could be just fine. this is one of them gut feelings you get. IMO

If you have a factory rifle your 10" twist will not spin the 175 ablr pills well so the data really is a moot point.... I'm with Muddy; stay with the 168's if they work for you. Frankly I'm surprised you can even get decent accuracy out of a 168 in a 10" twist.... usually they top in the 150-160 grain range.....

it is more a target rifle to shoot steel. but have shot deer with it. 30" douglas barrel 1 in 8 twist. was waiting on bergers 195. checked twist rate to be sure its around 8.3 or 8.35. that's why I was working my way up to the 195

it is more a target rifle to shoot steel. but have shot deer with it. 30" douglas barrel 1 in 8 twist. was waiting on bergers 195. checked twist rate to be sure its around 8.3 or 8.35. that's why I was working my way up to the 195

You should be able stabilize the 175 LRAB esp. if you have the altitude going for you.

I know hunters that had very good hands on experiences and successes with LRABs despite what others say. The ones that I know that had troubles with it did not have the right barrel twist. IMHO, it's worth a try.

I have some 150 LRABs to try in .277 for my .270 AI when I get around to it. Big Jake Duke dropped a nice CO bull elk 2 years ago with it IIRC.

Also, not sure if you know that Matrix has 190 VLDs for your consideration.

Good luck!

Quickload is a PREDICTION program, it will NEVER spit out the correct velocity or pressure of ANY GIVEN LOAD, there are too many VARIABLES it cannot PREDICT.
Work up from the starting load, when you SEE signs of excessive pressure, STOP and call THAT CHARGE WEIGHT YOUR MAXIMUM FOR YOUR RIFLE, then to be safe, drop the charge 1 full GRAIN of powder.

Cheers.
gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.