Question for you Remington Pro's.......

AtownBcat

Im new and this is my first post so please excuse if this is a rehash...

I have a 700 300WM SPS I have had a very talented smith here glass the action and float the barrel. He also added a brake.

My question is whether this gun will shoot as good as a sendero?(Be gental remember im a noob) The specs are almost the same 700 action....1to 10 twist...almost the same length. I could see how the fluted barrel would be better if you were shooting several shots in quick order...but is one 700 really more acurate than another 700

I have a 700 300WM SPS I have had a very talented smith here glass the action and float the barrel. He also added a brake.

My question is whether this gun will shoot as good as a sendero?(Be gental remember im a noob) The specs are almost the same 700 action....1to 10 twist...almost the same length. I could see how the fluted barrel would be better if you were shooting several shots in quick order...but is one 700 really more acurate than another 700
every gun is diffrent its only going to shoot as good as shooter! but i would think your 700 will shoot as good if not better than a sedero! good luck

You have to remember that the Sendero is a Remington 700 as well and has essentially the same action. The only diffrence being the Finish of the rifle and the Stock. You did fail to mention if the countour of the bbl was the same. I have seen a SPS with a bull or heavy bbl, but usually in the Short Action Format.

If yours has a bull/heavy bbl, then it is a Sendero without the more expensive stock.

However, there is no reason that a standard countour rifle couldn't shoot as well as a heavy bbl rifle. I happen to have a .243 AI in a standard countour 22" bbl that will out shoot a lot of varmit rifles out there.

Most guys who like rifles with heavy bbls like them for the steadyness that they have, they are easier to shoot prone or off of a bipod and the recoil is more manageable, they shoot bettter off of the bench and for those who will shoot extended strings, they don't heat up as fast, but when they do heat up, they take longer to cool down.

They are heavier to pack around and aren't what you would call a "mountain" rifle or even a sheep rifle. I'm one of those who prefers a heavy bbl and I get a lot of flack about it. I carry my own rifle, and don't ask any one to be my gun bearer, so that being said, If you like the heavy stuff, you'd better be willing to carry it.

I like the absolute assurance that my heavy bbl rifles give me, I know exactly what they will do with the first shot and that gives me confidence. I also seem to shoot them more and that helps me when I hunt as another confidence builder.

I would would also suggest that you look at the lugs of your bolt to see if they are properly contacting the lug recesses and lap them, a trigger job would certainly help. You did the right thing with floating the bbl and bedding the stock. If you decide to ever rebbl the rifle, I'd then "blueprint the action" and get a really good bbl.

Are you handloading to to optimize the performance of your rifle??? That certainly goes a long way as well.

Hope this helps

Dan

First thanks for the responses....

My SPS is a regular barrel, not the heavy or bull barrel. I will talk to the G Smith about you other suggestions as well. I have heard that the trigger on the new SPS's are pretty good and easily adjusted. I cant honestly say i know what it means to "blueprint the action"...im sure a little reading on this forum will explain alot of the new terms i will be hearing. You also ask about reloading and it is something that im interested in but am trying to learn as much as possible so that i can make educated choices. I have read that a 185gr bullet is a good place to start...I have a box of winchester supreme 185gr silver ballistic tips....but i am completely open for other suggestions.

I don't claim to be a remingtion expert but they are one of my favorites to build on because
they respond well to blue printing and bedding.

With that said; A light weight rifle / barreled rifle can be made to shoot as well as a heavy
one.

The main difference between them is there sensitivity to changes in loads,harmonics,bedding
or lack of,bullet weight,velocity,And other conditions.

The light weight rifles tend to be more finicky than heavy rifles when it comes to finding the
magic bullet/Load and also as Dano1 said the heavy barreled rifles are more steady under
most hunting conditions ( All though some of the masters can handle the light weight well ).

So weight has nothing to do with accuracy except enhancing it.

J E CUSTOM

The Senderos are know for their out of the box accuracy. Two factors that add to their accuracy are the aluminum bedded stock and the heavier barrel. The stock is a very good solid platform. Heavier barrels are *generally* better for accuracy because they are more ridged and less prone to whip. They will also *generally* shoot better groups for the same reason and they are not as sensitive to heat as lighter barrels. The two biggest reasons for getting a flutted barrel are less weight and the cool factor. And by cool factor I dont mean barrel cooling. Fluttng doesn't *significantly* enhance cooling. The deeper the fluting the better. What cooling affect that is provided is not as much from increased surface area as it is getting the surface close to the bore at the bottom of the flutted channel. When you remove steel from your barrel you will loose stiffness. But, a flutted barrel of the same wieght as a non flutted barrel will be stiffer. Roughly, for instance, a flutted #7 contour barrel will weigh about the same as non-flutted #6 contour barrel and be a little stiffer, but not as stiff as a non-flutted #7 contoured.

Back to the original question. Bottom line... you are more likely to get a more accurate Sendero out of the box than you are to get an equal or more accurate SPS. You might get a tack driver, and you might not. The odds are better with the Sendero.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input! I am trying to educate myself, its like learning a new language. I have a quick question:

If i wanted to get an improved barrel(a shilen for instance) in a heavy barrel will it fit in my SPS stock or is it better to get a new stock at the same time....which kinda makes the bedding my current stock a little bit of a waste but live and learn i guess.

I also believe that with theSenderos, you are paying for QA/QC, the same way the barrel manufacturers grade their barrels according to QC tolerances.

It's not that an SPS isn't capable of performing as well, it's just that they aren't offering accuracy guarantees at the SPS price point whereas you almost never hear of a Sendero that doesn't shoot extremely well. If you get a good 'smith to take a look at things, they start to have control over QC and can rectify things not taken care of at the factory.

I believe anyone thinking about going the semi custom route is well advised to go the SPS route. For the cost of Sendero, you can probably get a stock fitted to your dimensions, proper bedding, trigger job and the action blueprinted. Plus, you have the benefit of getting work performed over time, so the hit to the pocketbook doesn't sting as bad.

As others have mentioned, heavier barrels often provide better accuracy than small barrels, especially in longer barrel lengths. BR guns don't wear them for no reason! Again, not that you can't get great accuracy out of a thinner barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.