question for you guys using CCI450s

backwoods83

I use CCI 450s in my 6br loads and a friend uses them in his 6x47lp, I bought 2k he bought 1k, has anyone else been seeing extreme primer flow (mainly into the firing pin hole) or peircing with recent lots of the 450s? Bad batch? Softer cups? I backed down a half grain, a lot in a br, and it still does it, no signs of pressure before or after the load change, I'm just piercing primers now, I have also trimmed the firing pin and put a lighter spring in, any thoughts or experiences would be appreciated.

Have not had that recently. If you continue blanking primers like that, you could break the sear connector, which then requires a new trigger. It is most likely not the primers. Reduce the load. or, Take it to a smith.

What I have noticed wiyth the latest lot of 450's I bought is that firing pin hits the primer just right, but no go boom. I think I have had 5 of these no fires in the past 200 or 300 primers, and twice it happened during a match with my Dasher.

Yep, I had to rebuild a Jewell because of that. I've tried tame loads 29grn varget, with same results. I had a 26# spring, went to a 16# it was to light causing the issue your having, so went back up to a 22#. When it first started I checked firing pin protrustion, it was .055", trimmed the pin so it was at .038", thought the problem was gone, I was wrong. Its been checked twice. My brass has 7 loads on them with only 1 trim and 1 anneal, its not hot, no sticky bolt, no case head expansion, primers that don't pop look like factory ammo, no ejector marks, etc... the wierdest part is, it typically only does it until the barrel warms up, the first 4 or 5 shots, then its fine. I have used primers from the same batch in 204 and 223 with no issues, I'm pretty well lost at this point, and sometimes I use this rifle in matches, tactical and varmint, if it pops a primer you know what happens, a beautiful flyer in what would have been a good group.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.