Question for the pros on here.

We are coming off of 5 years of high coyote prices. Harvest at all-time highs. Populations have been knocked down, add a little disease, drought less population. Properties that had a producing coyote killer may have found him staying home due to the price collapse, when this happens property owners allow everyone that asks the opportunity, resulting in more educated animals. Also being late January populations are at their seasonal low as it is.

It's actually getting comical now. I missed three today :) 1 was running at just over 400 yards, another was just past 500yrds and instead of going prone and taking my time, I rushed a shot off the sticks:) the third was a chip shot at 200 yards and you guessed it… Muffed that one too! Today was just creeping hillsides and glassing, didn't even call, I was just crept around.

There out there…. :)
Not saying those were above your ability, but I never take shots just to see if I get lucky. Coyotes educate REALLY fast!!! I recommend being very confident with shots taken.

Not saying those were above your ability, but I never take shots just to see if I get lucky. Coyotes educate REALLY fast!!! I recommend being very confident with shots taken.
They are definitely in my wheelhouse, I was just a little Inpatient after my drought! It was just one of those days. I'll be be back on top again soon. I usually put on a junk show at least once a season. Got that out of the way…!

If you were to ever come across me in the field calling or hunting coyote all you would see is a white bearded old man in a carhartt coat with a rifle setting and waiting for you to either come over and say hi or go on about what it is your doing . You wouldn't see the snares or the pistol belt with the pliers and fixed blade knife on it or the calls that are under neath the coat on a lanyard around my neck . What you would see is a guy kids call Santa often . If I were actively calling or hunting you most likely wouldn't notice me as I would be tucked away by a cut bank , rock or sage brush and in the shade of it with no parts sticking out like a tree cancer as they say . you would need to even look to find my truck tucked in a draw some place .

It's actually getting comical now. I missed three today :) 1 was running at just over 400 yards, another was just past 500yrds and instead of going prone and taking my time, I rushed a shot off the sticks:) the third was a chip shot at 200 yards and you guessed it… Muffed that one too! Today was just creeping hillsides and glassing, didn't even call, I was just crept around.

Don't kick yourself too hard, I've missed a 75 yard, standing broadside shot from a solid rest. I think gremlins turned the bullet, 'cause there ain't no way I could miss. But I did...🥴
A trick I've used with myself and novice hunters to calm down is to spot and dry fire on birds, rabbits, etc while waiting to start calling after moving into position. There's something about it that mentality sets you up for the shot when it presents itself.
You don't have to necessarily cock the action, thus making noise, but spotting a moving creature, getting your sights aligned, settling your breathing, and smoothly run the trigger when it presents the perfect kill shot will help tremendously.
Remember, only perfect practice makes perfect!

Ed

Hey Bob,
Lots of good advise on here. You know me and I kill over 50 coyotes nearly every winter season. This year is tough!!! I don't have a good answer for you, but there just doesn't seem to be the dogs around like other years. I hunt at night only and I'm only at 33 dogs so far for the season. I will be extremely happy if I get to 50 dogs this season.
Jim
Dang Jim your a killer for sure! When I grow up I'm going to be just like you :)

I hope you get to 50 this season, I'd be happy to get to 33.

I have been out the last few days hiking and calling coyotes on some new property. I've put in 13 1/2 miles on foot in the last two days and have seen one coyote leaving.

Don't get me wrong, I feel very fortunate to have this 30 square mile spot to hunt, but dang…. It may be the toughest place I've ever hunted. It shouldn't be though. There is Dairy, a calving facility and a Lambing camp, with several different dead piles.

The first day I heard some coyotes howling, then a few days later when I was there, nothing….

Any ideas? I have literally tried everything and sat longer on stands. Im not sure if it's been over hunted, or to much pressure. I do know that there are a few wild dog that have killed a couple Ewe's. The ranchers do not want them around.

Any ideas about my struggles would be greatly appreciated!

Bob
First, would be the call, try looking at a Herb's Howler for the area you're in, try and get closer to the Yakinan Training Center... or up near Mt Clemens/ Wenas. Pick up a good coaxer, there's nothing wrong with running mouth calls and eclectic at the same time, sometimes it's just plain hard to beat it. Get some good scent killer and camo. Stay on the stand for 10 to 15 minutes longer than you think you have to and do move. Good luck, Cheers.

It's best if you can get the urine from only one coyote . Out of the bladder of one you shot from another area as well if you can get the poop from the colin of the same one you shot as well . Yea I know it's kind of crude but when you are dealing with very cautious animals sometimes it takes extreme measures . We often don't talk of some of the things we find that we need to do .
You want to kill coyotes more than I do. I've never been desperate enough to dig in a dead coyote colon to get bait for other coyotes. Coyotes hit by a ballistic tip traveling 3500 fps often dump a "deposit" and fresh coyote crap is some of the worst smelling stuff there is. Don't worry DSheetz, I don't judge. I just don't want you riding in my truck with a baggy full of your coyote "lures".

Missing coyotes is the worst. It sounds like you are dealing with educated coyotes and they are even more educated now that you shot at them. Those coyotes you missed may become very difficult to call in again this winter. I'm assuming this area has significant pressure and many, if not all of the dumb coyotes are already dead. The easier to call coyotes will make any of us feel like we are good coyote hunters. The more cautious coyotes will humble even the best coyote hunters. January is often a tough month for me to call coyotes. In most places all of the dumb/easy coyotes have already been killed. Coyotes are pairing up and often seem less interested in distress calls. Sometimes trying a new sound they haven't heard will help. Hunt at night (if legal) or hunting right a first legal shooting light will increase your odds. If you are really set on continuing to hunt coyotes on this property this winter, your best strategy may be "spot and stalk" with very little or no calling. You could also try "stand hunting" and ambush them in travel corridors or at bait.

If you want to be like rankin76, you have to shoot like rankin76. I could guarantee you he isn't routinely shooting coyotes at 300 + yards. Rankin76 may be an excellent long range shooter but I've never met a proficient coyote caller that routinely shoots more than 200-250 yards and they often kill many of their coyotes at less than 100 yards. They are only shooting when they are 99% confident they will kill that coyote. I routinely pass on shooting at coyotes that are 30-200 yards away and sometimes they end up getting away without me getting a shot I'm comfortable with. I would much rather have them get away than to educate them further by shooting and missing. I don't even consider shooting at coyotes while I'm calling that are 300+ yards away unless I can get prone and take a none rushed shot. Coyotes are small targets and not easy to hit. Anyone that claims they can shoot and kill 90% of the coyotes they see at 500 yards is a lier. "Field conditions" are difficult and shooting a coyote at 500 yards is much more difficult that shooting paper or steel at longer ranges.

You want to kill coyotes more than I do. I've never been desperate enough to dig in a dead coyote colon to get bait for other coyotes. Coyotes hit by a ballistic tip traveling 3500 fps often dump a "deposit" and fresh coyote crap is some of the worst smelling stuff there is. Don't worry DSheetz, I don't judge. I just don't want you riding in my truck with a baggy full of your coyote "lures".

Missing coyotes is the worst. It sounds like you are dealing with educated coyotes and they are even more educated now that you shot at them. Those coyotes you missed may become very difficult to call in again this winter. I'm assuming this area has significant pressure and many, if not all of the dumb coyotes are already dead. The easier to call coyotes will make any of us feel like we are good coyote hunters. The more cautious coyotes will humble even the best coyote hunters. January is often a tough month for me to call coyotes. In most places all of the dumb/easy coyotes have already been killed. Coyotes are pairing up and often seem less interested in distress calls. Sometimes trying a new sound they haven't heard will help. Hunt at night (if legal) or hunting right a first legal shooting light will increase your odds. If you are really set on continuing to hunt coyotes on this property this winter, your best strategy may be "spot and stalk" with very little or no calling. You could also try "stand hunting" and ambush them in travel corridors or at bait.

If you want to be like rankin76, you have to shoot like rankin76. I could guarantee you he isn't routinely shooting coyotes at 300 + yards. Rankin76 may be an excellent long range shooter but I've never met a proficient coyote caller that routinely shoots more than 200-250 yards and they often kill many of their coyotes at less than 100 yards. They are only shooting when they are 99% confident they will kill that coyote. I routinely pass on shooting at coyotes that are 30-200 yards away and sometimes they end up getting away without me getting a shot I'm comfortable with. I would much rather have them get away than to educate them further by shooting and missing. I don't even consider shooting at coyotes while I'm calling that are 300+ yards away unless I can get prone and take a none rushed shot. Coyotes are small targets and not easy to hit. Anyone that claims they can shoot and kill 90% of the coyotes they see at 500 yards is a lier. "Field conditions" are difficult and shooting a coyote at 500 yards is much more difficult that shooting paper or steel at longer ranges.

Ok…. I never said anything about percentages, or anyone should be like me. I was just having a laugh at myself. I'm not trying to make money off hunting coyotes, I do it for fun, I've actually been doing it for awhile. But hey, obviously it ruined your day. So I hope you have a better one!

When it's your job to kill coyote that are killing livestock you do what you need to do to kill the ones that others have educated . You open their belly and just squeeze it out into what ever it is you are putting it in preferably in a glass jar with a good fitting screw on lid , not plastic . I like a 223 with sierra 55 grain hollow point boat tails running at right at2900 fpsmv . they just get stiff legged and fall over . the vast majority of my shots are well under 100 yards most average 50 yards . It was enjoyable for me but not a hobby it was a job that needed done and I didn't mind others that wanted to just do it as fun except cleaning up after them during lambing season got aggravating and very challenging at times . I was taught that there is a difference between bait and lures , most people consider bait to be a food base and a lure to be scent based . I learned from some people that are long dead now and had to make due with what they had to work with seldom going to town and not being able to buy bait or lures . .

Last edited:
Not sure what qualifies as "pro". Regardless, I am not. I do hunt regularly after deer season until it gets so hot I'm killing mostly mosquitos.
WOW! Lots of good info here and I'll use much of it. We never get too old to learn.

I do know this. In much of the sheep/goat country of far south and west TX, coyotes barely exist in what appears to be prime habitat. They are shot, trapped, snared, poisoned, and it they see or hear one, assaulted from the air until it's gone.

Not sure if this might be some of the issues you are facing. Any advise I could give has already been mentioned, but the truth of vocals this time of year is spot on.

Good luck

What is the terrain like? Brush, timber, rolling hills or? I don't call very much anymore because everyone does it and it's hard to get anything to come in. I figure out where they feed and where they bed and find a good spot between the two that I can walk into in the dark and I've been very successful do

Ok…. I never said anything about percentages, or anyone should be like me. I was just having a laugh at myself. I'm not trying to make money off hunting coyotes, I do it for fun, I've actually been doing it for awhile. But hey, obviously it ruined your day. So I hope you have a better one!
It didn't ruin my day at all, just giving my opinion about shooting at long range coyotes. Guys that kill a lot of coyotes while calling almost always kill them at shorter ranges than the average coyote hunter. I've taken many long shots at coyotes and I'm well below 50% for 500+ yards.

I'm far from perfect at killing coyotes I shoot at. The last one I shot at on Monday I missed at 200 yards off the shooting sticks I don't know how I missed it but I did. I was walking out to my stand and when I got 25 yards from my truck a coyote that was 100 yards away started to run. It did quick stop at 200 yards and I thought I had it dead but it ran off after I pulled to trigger, never to be seen again.

Last edited:
I have been out the last few days hiking and calling coyotes on some new property. I've put in 13 1/2 miles on foot in the last two days and have seen one coyote leaving.

Don't get me wrong, I feel very fortunate to have this 30 square mile spot to hunt, but dang…. It may be the toughest place I've ever hunted. It shouldn't be though. There is Dairy, a calving facility and a Lambing camp, with several different dead piles.

The first day I heard some coyotes howling, then a few days later when I was there, nothing….

Any ideas? I have literally tried everything and sat longer on stands. Im not sure if it's been over hunted, or to much pressure. I do know that there are a few wild dog that have killed a couple Ewe's. The ranchers do not want them around.

Any ideas about my struggles would be greatly appreciated!

Bob
First of all, Coyote hunting...at least here in Wisconsin is not something that you can do by simply putting in foot time. They will see and hear you coming long before you see them. Kinda like a Wisconsin State Trooper, you hardly see them until you do something stupid like try to make time on the Interstate breaking the speed limit or something even stupider. You never see them until you see the red and blues on you back bumper. I think that Coyotes taught the Bears a thing or two. Find a likely area where you hear them howling or yipping, set out a decoy and a caller and hide in the snow or brush and wait for them to show up looking for their next meal. In the spring use mating calls and late spring use pup in distress. You don't even have to get out of sight of farm buildings. I've taken many from the back of the machine shed at my boyfriends farm standing by an open window with a little heater going, keepin warm while waiting in ambush. If you are patient they will come for their last meal. :eek: