Question for the pros on here.

I would go to a good high spot first thing in the morning and glass a bunch and just watch what they do. You should see them when they are still hunting and then they usually work towards the bedding area. Hopefully it's not in the sagebrush they are hard to kill in it. You should be able to see trails on the open hills. A couple of mornings watching them will teach you a lot and you will probably kill one in the process if you take your long range gun. They love to hunt around cattle or sheep that's where I see them most of the time at first light.

I think I'd put a cell cam on that carcass pile and wait to see how often they hit it and maybe even try to get downwind if they do show up

If you have a dog take some of poop and put it in places where there are tracks or on crossing areas under fences, like small draws etc. I've done this in the past and brought my dog along to mark his territory. Coyotes are very territorial and will want to chase the intruder out of their area. Then come back and call near those areas. Make dog barks on a hand call or if they see your dog they will come to challenge him or her. This is especially true when they pair up and den. Also someone else said to come in to call very early. I had a spot that used to be money on state land. It got discovered by a group of guys that over called it. The only way I can get a dog to come in by calling super early in the AM. It's dark. Don't use a light. And call before the sun comes up where you can barely see. When they come they'll be in your lap, like 25 yards. I bring my AR for this. You could also use a shotgun. Gets your heart rate up and a great way to start the day.

I have been out the last few days hiking and calling coyotes on some new property. I've put in 13 1/2 miles on foot in the last two days and have seen one coyote leaving.

Don't get me wrong, I feel very fortunate to have this 30 square mile spot to hunt, but dang…. It may be the toughest place I've ever hunted. It shouldn't be though. There is Dairy, a calving facility and a Lambing camp, with several different dead piles.

The first day I heard some coyotes howling, then a few days later when I was there, nothing….

Any ideas? I have literally tried everything and sat longer on stands. Im not sure if it's been over hunted, or to much pressure. I do know that there are a few wild dog that have killed a couple Ewe's. The ranchers do not want them around.

Any ideas about my struggles would be greatly appreciated!

Bob
we havent coyotes in wales just foxs and badgers, here its all about being in the right place at the right time, Someone once asked me wheres the the best place for foxs, I replied you tell me where the worst place is, here most fields are under 400x300 yards and if it snows you will not find a field thats got no prints

Hey Bob,
Lots of good advise on here. You know me and I kill over 50 coyotes nearly every winter season. This year is tough!!! I don't have a good answer for you, but there just doesn't seem to be the dogs around like other years. I hunt at night only and I'm only at 33 dogs so far for the season. I will be extremely happy if I get to 50 dogs this season.
Jim

I have been out the last few days hiking and calling coyotes on some new property. I've put in 13 1/2 miles on foot in the last two days and have seen one coyote leaving.

Don't get me wrong, I feel very fortunate to have this 30 square mile spot to hunt, but dang…. It may be the toughest place I've ever hunted. It shouldn't be though. There is Dairy, a calving facility and a Lambing camp, with several different dead piles.

The first day I heard some coyotes howling, then a few days later when I was there, nothing….

Any ideas? I have literally tried everything and sat longer on stands. Im not sure if it's been over hunted, or to much pressure. I do know that there are a few wild dog that have killed a couple Ewe's. The ranchers do not want them around.

Any ideas about my struggles would be greatly appreciated!

Bob
They may be nocturnal. Our coyotes only come out at night when us humans are less threatening. What do game cameras show at the dead pile?

Your area is a lot like where I live .
Same here, only warmer here. 😁

@rankin76, what Dave said is spot on. I'm having the same issues down here in SE NM, and there is a LOT of pressure on the coyotes here.

Something you might try is a trapper's trick.
Pick up some coyote poop from another area(miles away!), domestic dog will work, but not quite as well. You'll also need to get a small bottle of coyote urine.
Take these to an area that you can shoot to on this ranch, where you've heard coyotes in the past, find a trail, be it game trail or cattle trail, place the poop in the trail and pour about a tablespoon of urine on it.
This time of year, when they are paired up or trying to pair up, they won't move far, but they will still check their area. Give them a few days to check it out, go back and freshen the urine up, and give it a day or two before going back in.
They will find the poop, not recognize the stranger, and will be more ready to vocalize, trying to identify and locate the interloper.
You can then try the coyote vocalizations that Dave mentioned.

Wishing you the best!
Ed

It's best if you can get the urine from only one coyote . Out of the bladder of one you shot from another area as well if you can get the poop from the colin of the same one you shot as well . Yea I know it's kind of crude but when you are dealing with very cautious animals sometimes it takes extreme measures . We often don't talk of some of the things we find that we need to do .

You would never know if you did . It doesn't show that it has been and you wouldn't see it any way . You keep it separated from the rest of the lures and bates in your supplies so it doesn't get tainted by other coyote smells you want it to only smell of one animal . They know the difference hell they can smell cancer in you and nobody I know can do that till you are pretty well past the stage where it can be successfully treated .

If I ever passed someone walking out into the field with a ziplock bag of surgically removed coyote crap and a syringe full of pure coyote urine extract in their hands I might actually die laughing.
😜 You should see the bed of my work truck...😁

Dave's right about the single coyote source. The biggest problem with commercial coyote, or bobcat, urine is that it's taken from a number of animals and some of its pretty rancid.
That said, use what you can get.

Ed

It's actually getting comical now. I missed three today :) 1 was running at just over 400 yards, another was just past 500yrds and instead of going prone and taking my time, I rushed a shot off the sticks:) the third was a chip shot at 200 yards and you guessed it… Muffed that one too! Today was just creeping hillsides and glassing, didn't even call, I was just crept around.

There out there…. :)

rankin76 , talk to yourself and calm down you got the buck fever bad today and I'm going to tell you the truth about buck fever every last one of us has had it in our lives . Do you do any meditation ? Then in some of your down time use mental imaging see yourself making that type of shot in your minds eye again and again . Weather you are wanting to be a professional or a hobby hunter it will help you to remain calm .