Question for STW guys!

Lahunter76

I have my components to build, just waiting on my funds to build back up to finish build, so I am sitting here with a tube that will finish 28" 1:8t
Was planing on building a 28nosler but a few draw backs with it and I was just wondering what y'all think about a 28nosler vs a 7stw

I will be handloading, and I know that they are supposedly ballistic twins, but y'all take would be nice, converting a 300weatherby donor action and bottom metal.

Not sure what draw backs you are talking about. I converted my 7 mm STW to a 28 Nosler and could not be happier. The STW is almost impossible to fit in most magazines with the 195 class of bullets seated properly. The 28 Nosler is easier to load for and with ADG brass easy to get what is not to like. The 28 Nosler is on the rise and the STW is on a steep decline. Ask custom rifle builders how many STWs vs 28 Nosler they chamber new rifles for.

I've had a stw for a long time, and my brother had one before I had one. We have always reloaded for them. If you intend to shoot 180s or 195s then a 28 Nosler is the way to go. My 700 action is milled for the wyatts 4" box. I just put a 26" 8 twist proof sendero on it and kept it a stw because of all the history, brass etc. No draw backs to a 28 Nosler. If you have all your 300 weatherby brass and components just rebarrel it launch a 215 hybrid and smile every time it dumps a critter in its tracks.

I have heard that the 28 Nosler will eat a barrel faster, but I'm not sure if it's true or not. They both have very similar performance with 195s, the Nosler might be a little bit faster, but the STW will still shoot them around 3000 fps. The Nosler is growing and so will it's brass options, it's nice that you can get ADG brass. They're both great, but I would probably try a 28 Nosler if I was building another, and didn't already have a bunch of brass and dies for the STW. In my STWs, the 195 touches the lands at about 3.770" OAL, which easily fits in the 3.8" mag box

Hello! New to the forum but saw STW and had to chime in. Ive had a rem700 7STW VLS for close to 20 years now. Its my favorite rifle ive ever owned. Im 51 years old and i still love hunting with it. Not much on shooting off the bench. Its kinda rough. I have no comment on the 28 nosler that would count as experience. Thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.