Question for S1 or STL shooter

gonzo exspress

S1 or STL shooter do you shoot the heavy 30s in your 30 wolf? Like the 240 matchkings, and if you do what loads seem to work the best for you? and how fast are you pushing them? thanks for any information.

When I go heavy in the Wolf I use a Danzac coated PRL 253 with a 210 fed primer and 100 gr. of H50 BMG which produces 3,120 fps. in a 30 inch Lilja barrel.

There are few to no .338's with a 30 inch barrel that can match the ballistics of this combination, 3,120 fps. with a B.C. of .880, and all with a temperature insensitive powder!

S1
can you get the PRL bullets without the danzac coating? If not what other bullets do you seem to like? also will the velocity
be any diffrent with or without a coated bullet?
confused.gif
My barell will be 34" long and I am thinking about having you build me one of your breaks if you don't mind.It is a lijia barell also in another 30/338 lapua version.

Sod Buster

The PRL bullets come uncoated, I coat them myself, but not for the reason some might think. The ultimate goal for me is to get multiple things to converge all at the same point while maximizing wind deflection.

The reality of it is this, we do not have powders being optimized for long range shooters of 30 cals with heavy bullets. By changing the pressure curve in the first few inches of barrel travel it allows a powder that is not working so well to be much closer to optimal. Coating bullets allows me an additional range of influence where velocity, pressure, and barrel harmonics interact with eachother.

I will help you with a brake, just give me a few days warning before shipping a barrel.

I like the 210 JLK as far as lead goes, it is more accurate than the Sierra 220 MK in a range of guns we have tested and is easily the equal to the 220 in B.C.

Coating does change the velocity and pressure, for danzak you must increase the powder charge for equal velocity. And the resultant effect on a 210 grain bullet in a 30 Wolf, is that it makes the powder act about 3 percent slower. The 210 JLK has a better terminal effect out of our 30 cals than the 220 MK, not as good as the PRL.

For 1,100 yds. and in the 178 A-max is outstanding in accuracy and terminal performance. On windy days, and past 1,100 yds. you will wish for something with better wind performance.

S1
What grains do the PRL bullets come, between 200 and 253 grains? I mean I know they come in 253 but,what else do they come in besides that,but no less than 200 grain.And how do I get some of these bullets?

Are you shooting the 178 A-max in the 30-wolf? and if you are, how fast is that thing screaming? And do you hunt with these from the wolf or do hunt mainly with the 253s? oh yea! what twist is the wolf? I also want to thank you for taking the time to answer my qestions. so thank you !!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.