Question for my oldest boy

Why did you even ask. Sounds like it is done deal. I think it is a stupid and irresponsible idea to hunt deer with 45acp. What next , a BB gun.
I think there's thousands of DEAD enemy combatants that have been shot with the 45 during a few wars. But I guess deer have some type of body armor that will protect them from the lowly 45?
Once again, did you watch the video in post #2? Please watch it then make another post

Yes, Body Armor....... Brain Dead Joe says, they must, as to why we need an AR-15 to hunt them. Evidently, this dip**** thinks so as well. And has no idea as to the capability of the 45ACP.
Must have not seen the video, of how she folded up!!
She must have left the bedding area without her body armor! 🤣

Yes, Body Armor....... Brain Dead Joe says, they must, as to why we need an AR-15 to hunt them. Evidently, this dip**** thinks so as well. And has no idea as to the capability of the 45ACP.
Must have not seen the video, of how she folded up!!
While "dls guide" is showing his blatant lack of knowledge on the subject and speaking loudly about it, I must say that if you want to keep your thread from being closed you need to monitor your language, it is part of the rules of this forum. Please remember that we are to condone ourselves as if we are in Len's living room. Do not sink to that level please.

While "dls guide" is showing his blatant lack of knowledge on the subject and speaking loudly about it, I must say that if you want to keep your thread from being closed you need to monitor your language, it is part of the rules of this forum. Please remember that we are to condone ourselves as if we are in Len's living room. Do not sink to that level please.
Gotcha..... I apologize if I offended anyone with my use of the DS word. Just get a little set off sometimes by ignorance.
I'll do my best for it not to happen again...Sorry Yall

ACP will be more efficient than .45 colt.

That said, no matter how you slice it, it's a poor cartridge for killing, relative to other things out there.

Here's a video of a guy using a 3.3 inch barrel on a doe at some like 20y. He was using 230 gr Hornady xtp.

HMMMM?

The Similarities Between 45 Long Colt and 45 ACP

45 LC and 45 ACP ammo side by side

A close-up shot of 45 Long Colt ammo on the left and 45 ACP ammo on the right.
John Browning didn't set out to create an entirely different cartridge than that which the U.S. Army had become accustomed to. He actually developed the 45 ACP to match the ballistics of the 45 Long Colt fairly closely! It's not an apples to apples comparison, though. A typical 45 Long Colt cartridge has a 250 grain bullet and 860 fps muzzle velocity, giving it 411 ft lbs muzzle energy.

In comparison, a standard 45 ACP cartridge has a 230 grain bullet and 850 fps muzzle velocity, giving it 369 ft lbs muzzle energy. The 45 Long Colt is effectively a more powerful cartridge, but with a 1911 you get seven shots in the magazine instead of six in the cylinder. It's a lot easier to reload a semi-auto than a revolver when you're in a hurry, too, which is why they're generally more favored. The 45 Long Colt has a .452" bullet.

The 45 ACP, on the other hand, has a .451" bullet. If you consider one one-thousandth of an inch a great length, then you may argue that the two cartridges' bullets are in fact very different from one another. It's going to be a tough sell, though.

Although your 45 colt load in the comparison would be what is considered a Cowboy load, my colt loads with the 255gr I cast are faster than 860 by quite a bit, from my Heritage 5 1/2" bbl. mid 1040's with 11.8gr of #5. Good write up though, and appreciate, you time to write and post it. Ken

HMMMM?

The Similarities Between 45 Long Colt and 45 ACP

45 LC and 45 ACP ammo side by side

A close-up shot of 45 Long Colt ammo on the left and 45 ACP ammo on the right.
John Browning didn't set out to create an entirely different cartridge than that which the U.S. Army had become accustomed to. He actually developed the 45 ACP to match the ballistics of the 45 Long Colt fairly closely! It's not an apples to apples comparison, though. A typical 45 Long Colt cartridge has a 250 grain bullet and 860 fps muzzle velocity, giving it 411 ft lbs muzzle energy.

In comparison, a standard 45 ACP cartridge has a 230 grain bullet and 850 fps muzzle velocity, giving it 369 ft lbs muzzle energy. The 45 Long Colt is effectively a more powerful cartridge, but with a 1911 you get seven shots in the magazine instead of six in the cylinder. It's a lot easier to reload a semi-auto than a revolver when you're in a hurry, too, which is why they're generally more favored. The 45 Long Colt has a .452" bullet.

The 45 ACP, on the other hand, has a .451" bullet. If you consider one one-thousandth of an inch a great length, then you may argue that the two cartridges' bullets are in fact very different from one another. It's going to be a tough sell, though.

I agree in general. There ARE nuisance details and caveats but, in general.

Those numbers CAN be fudged both ways. Even so, these numbers are negligible. If you're crying about a 42 ft lb difference in on paper energy and talking up how the LC slays things better, then you're a fan boy and are speaking from a place of bias.

Also that's a nice copy and paste from an article.

Because you are misinformed stating the .45 ACP is more efficient than the .45LC, you hurl insults? Typical childish behavior when wrong.
Carry on lil fella!!!

Because you are misinformed stating the .45 ACP is more efficient than the .45LC, you hurl insults? Typical childish behavior when wrong.
Carry on lil fella!!!
Are you talking to me? Haha that wasn't a insult just because you didn't like what I said.
You want to see insults?

Don't be a girl. Quote me like a man.

Definition of efficient

1: productive of desired effects especially: capable of producing desired results with little or no waste (as of time or materials)

According to the article you copy and pasted, the numbers are negligible. If a .45 acp and the LC is about or around the same ballistically, then there is room to say it's is a more efficient cartridge. It's smaller, it uses smokeless powder and can generally or more often be loaded at higher pressures.
That said, yes, you can load the .45 LC as a super +P if you have a pistol that can handle it. Or if you like taking risk.
As seen here:https://ammo.com/comparison/45-colt-vs-45-acp

Loading a .45 LC this way is a specific topic.
The OP wasn't asking about loading a .45 LC like a .44 mag. He asked which one is a good round. Generally, they both equally suck.

More like what's seen here:
If you look at another article, you'll see they use different numbers and draw different results then the article you referenced:
Or

The reality is, it's shouldn't being a topic worth arguing about. There's nothing special about the numbers either of these cartridges put out generally, and again, being concern over a minuscule difference in KE either way is retarded. If the OP is loading a super duper load of .45 LC then why is he even asking the question? He already knows what he's doing.

Guys, I started this thread for advice on a good bullet/round for the boy to use to take a doe with his 45acp. We both have acp's, I've just never hunted with mine. I have taken a few does for food with my Colt. I could take the time and work up a load for the acp for this, but figured to save some time and components by asking here. Did Not intend it to turn into a ****ing match, or a race between the ACP and the Colt. It's been posted here as to how close the two are, but in fact a Colt +P load is a superior round with the same weight bullet.
All I wanted was advice for a good choice of round for the task, from someone that HAS USED their round for what I asked. No need for opinions, or negative posts not pertaining to my original question. So, please keep it civil, and to the point of this thread. For those that think it is unethical for the ACP for this, he will only be taking a 15-20yd shot MAX. The animal will not be lost, as he is a really good shot, and I've got the dog to find it if it does so happen...... Thanks, and keep it civil please, as this site intends for this type deal to be helpful, and not for a war to break out...lol.

I have never done this, so I can't help with what would be a good bullet. I do look forward to what your boy uses, and how that bullet performs on tissue, and whether or not you get a exit.