Question for my oldest boy

You want energy delivery for tissue damage.
A 45 auto wont bruise meat no matter what.
Shoulder has more resistance than rib; shoot shoulder but hit vitals. Use an expander or a fragmenter if possible. A flat nose is a must in a conventional cast bullet. Unless you have a good tracking dog.

I will second the hard cast with a large meplate. My dad has used his 18" .44 mag rifle and taken several deer and even an elk from 75 to 180 yards, so by that range, getting somewhat close to pistol velocities at close range. In his, he used a 290 grain hard cast flat point, we used plenty of lineotype in the bullets, they were hard. Going around 1700 fps at the muzzle. A 200-230 out of a 45 will be 1000-800 fps-ish respectively, and at close range will penetrate and do damage. The flat front of these hard cast cut clean holes and cause a good amount of trauma.

My LT has used his glock m40 and shot a few pigs, goats and a couple gators with it, and he likes the 180 XTP in the 10mm. However with the glock barrel, he doesn't want to run the hard cast.

There's a point where being supportive becomes enabling. Assisting with bad choices isn't my way.
Apparently you neglected to watch the video dfanonymous put in post #2. Are there better pistol cartridges? Yea but telling someone it's a "bad" choice isn't true. Watch video in post #2 and then tell me it's bad.

You want energy delivery for tissue damage.
A 45 auto wont bruise meat no matter what.
Shoulder has more resistance than rib; shoot shoulder but hit vitals. Use an expander or a fragmenter if possible. A flat nose is a must in a conventional cast bullet. Unless you have a good tracking dog.
Yes, he'll use a shoulder shot.
Just in case, I do have a very good tracking dog, she's never failed us yet, in 6yrs. To me, there is nothing much more dis- heartrending than shooting a game animal and not recovering it. If I'd post a pic of the lil gal, you guys would laugh your as**s off, and she's a house dog. No type of hound in her at all.

There's a point where being supportive becomes enabling. Assisting with bad choices isn't my way.
Well, Isn't this ironic, mentioning bad choices.
Everyone has a right to their opinion, just as you do, and everyone else.
My opinion is, you made a bad choice posting this, and in the same way, say it's not your way.
Come on man!!

Sorry sir, but this statement is flat ignorant, assumptive, incorrect, as well as disrespectful. From people that do have experience on this subject, it is rather obvious that you are not speaking from experience, or if you have attempted it, your attempt was prefaced with a lack of neccessary ability with a handgun. Commentary like this is not useful, productive or wanted.

Yes, he'll use a shoulder shot.
Just in case, I do have a very good tracking dog, she's never failed us yet, in 6yrs. To me, there is nothing much more dis- heartrending than shooting a game animal and not recovering it. If I'd post a pic of the lil gal, you guys would laugh your as**s off, and she's a house dog. No type of hound in her at all.
1662381028076.png

Why did you even ask. Sounds like it is done deal. I think it is a stupid and irresponsible idea to hunt deer with 45acp. What next , a BB gun.