Question for Elk and moose hunters!

hoser

Which 7x57mm Mauser load would be best choice for elk and moose?

And also wild boar (which can be a tough critter)? Or would you choose a different, tougher bullet for this animal vs the elk and moose?

175 Gr. Nosler Partition 2540 (velocity)
175 Gr. Barnes X 2470 (velocity)
175 Gr. Spire Point 2500 (velocity)
175 Gr. Swift A-Frame 2490 (velocity)

confused.gif

Which one is your most accurate?
Most of those listed are the "premium" bullets designed not to come apart. They will all do the job if you hit them in the right place.
Most folks on this site use and recomend Matchkings. Their reasoning is dead on in that you have to hit them in the right place first before you can consider bullet performance.
I don't think I would advise either of those loads for long range hunting on large tough animals. Inside point blank range they should work if you hit them in the right place.

Hoser,

I would go with either the partition or the spire point. At those vel, nether bullet is going to break up and penetration should be excellent.

I do not like low vel when using "tough" bullets like the Barnes because expansion would be limited. Penetration is superb but I usually take broadside shots so don't need 3 ft of penetration.

Pick the one that is most accurate and practise getting that bullet into the boiler room. Inside 250yds, this bullet will put down any grass eater you want. Would also work wonders on black bear and hogs.

If looking at a conventional softpoint, the 175gr round noses are great thumpers at moderate ranges.

Enjoy...

Jerry

Hi Hoser,

Hey, with moose and elk you hardly need raw accuracy, even for a long shot. The kill zones are huge. You are really interested in bullet performance. Barnes would be my first choice and a good partition type would be a good second choice. If you can get either of those to group well at all, use em. The Barnes also expand at lower velocities than most spire points. I have killed 1500+ pound bull moose with 180 grain XBT's at 2398 FPS at 100 yards. Those loads destroy bones, yeild perfect expansion and penetrate 100% and they usually run about 20-30 paces. That is not uncommon even for good hits with a big magnum on a moose. Also moose die very easy, the key is penetration. Elk are a different story, they have a strong will to live, go for all you can get. But either the X or the partition will yeild excellent results on both critters.

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.