Question for 300RUM Owners

freebird63

I am having problems getting my gun sighted in. Its a Sendero 300RUM
So here is my question for anyone having any knowledge or owns one.
What brand and weight of bullets do you use???
What powder do you use & how many grains do you use???

Hi, my first post here. I shoot a Remy 700 XCR and I'm shooting 100.5 gr. Retumbo with a 180gr. Barnes ttsx bullet. According to my chronograph it's averaging 3325fps. Of course it's only a 26" stock barrel, my 100 yrd. benchrest groups for 3 shots average .68". I've only had the gun for a year but so far I love it! Going to bump up to 200gr. bullet this spring and step out a bit with it 500-800 yrds, and pay my dues and put in some serious time practicing. Hope you get her dialed in, mine shot ok at first but I went ahead and pillar glass beaded the action, floated the barrel, and tuned the trigger to 3.5 lbs. Made a difference for MY gun, this is a hunting rifle and am quite happy with the results so far. Good luck.

Before I even shot the gun I had a gunsmith work it over, bed it and float the barrel and work the trigger up. My wife has a Remington 300SAUM and it was very easy to get sighted in. But her gun only seems to like the 150gr accubonds. For all the money I have spent on berger bullets I really hope its not that my gun does not like berger bullets.

I would have shot it before putting money into it. I have a Sendero II in 300 RUM, and it's a sub 1/2" grouper box stock.

My light recoil load for friends (and the wife) is 85gr of RL22 behind a 180gr Hornady Interlock, and it shoots 0.4" groups. Velocity is just a scoach under 3100, which is sad for the RUM, but like I said it's a light load. Just something for you to try. I'm still working on my top end loads for the 200gr Gamekings and 210 Bergers.

Did you buy your RUM new ? Do you know how many rounds you have down the tube? I shoot a 300 sendero I bought mine new and when I had the factory barrel on it I shot 155 AMAX'S it loved them If it want shoot AMAXS good or better than what your shooting now then something is goign on . my gun didn't like the 168's but loved the 155 's I would feel confident to say that it should shoot the AMAX very well . Now I have a custom barrel and it has taken a little work to get the bergers to shoot but they shoot ! I'm not the greatest when it comes to hand loading but I seat my bullets to were it will barely fit the Mag. try that if you havent already oh and try some retumbo some one once told me that retumbo is your friend in the RUM boy was they right! Good luck.

BigBuck

Yes I bought the gun brand new. I have probably only shot 75 rounds through it, so the barrel is probably not even broke in yet. Today I loaded up some Scirrocco's and loaded up some more 185's and 190's, I did seat them closer to the lands, they will still fit in the magazine. But it could be that my gun won't shoot berger's. If these don't shoot then I will pick up a box of accubonds and try those, if they won't shoot then I am heading back to the gunsmith and see if he can figure it out.
Am pretty much using only Retumbo for the moment, I have a 8lb jug of Ramshot Magnum, hope to get to use it.

190 berger vld 95 grains retumbo fed 215m primer seated 3.680" nosler brass neck sized. Check for copper fowling. Use a good nylon brush and some sweets 7.62 or good copper remover... Alway run a oil patch after.... check all your mounts... Start sighting it in at 25 yards and get it on papper. I almost bet your flinching a little bit.... Try using a led sled.... Don,t shoot it till it gets hot... This has worked for me.... God luck...

Freebird, I'm sort of in the same boat as you. I've got just over 100 rounds through mine and getting halfway decent acuracy with H-1000. I've been shooting 4 shot groups and getting something like .75. Not as consistent as I would like though with ES. I've been trying .020 off the lands and single feeding them and that has made a big difference. Shot a .1 with it, could barely tell it was more than one bullet. One thing though, the pressure went through the roof, so start way low if you do this.

If that seating depth works, consider a Wyatts extended box mag for it. I think you can load to 3.820 OAL with it. I talked with Kevin Cram about it and he said it would be $85 installed, that includes the box.

I would check out the sticky thread in the reloading section about getting the best performance and accuracy with Vlds. It will help you get the sweet spot you are looking for with these bullets. Essentially you start with the bullet .010 jammed into the lands, then back it off .040, and then another .040 (.080 off lands) and then another .040 (.120 total). Somewhere in there you should see it settle down and produce the groups you are looking for. At that point you do the finite adjustments in +/- .010 until you get it right.

The thread suggests 6 rounds per depth change, but I would imagine that 3-4 would be sufficient.

I have had good luck with Retumbo and 190 vlds and 208 amaxs. Going to try VV N-570 next.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.