Question about zeroing a rifle.

WildBillG

I zeroed my 338 RUM on saturday for 200yds. Later I got looking at my Kestrel and it said when zeroed at 200 I need to come up .300. Scroll down the ballistics and it says I should be 1.5 inches low. Now what happens when I go to shoot at say 600yds. I dial up said amount. Will I be way high because I did not zero according to my Kestrel. Or will I be just fine. I am a little confused by this or have I missed some ting along the way. To be clear I put in all needed info. Put in zero 200yds.. then transfered it to the Kestrel. My bullets are striking right under the center line in the bulls eye. I mean lerally rubbing it. The group measured .675 center to center.. I was using it with my bipod and a roll of paper towel for the rear support. So any thoughts guys and what would you do.

Yes I put in 200 yard zeroand am using TMOA. not mils.
Something is not adding up. If you have ZR set at 200 yd in your Kestrel for that particular gun, and Tgt is set to 200 yds E should be 0.00U in whatever units you are using.......

Any particular reason you zeroed at 200 and not 100 yds? Kestrel typically recommends 100.

I zeroed my 338 RUM on saturday for 200yds. Later I got looking at my Kestrel and it said when zeroed at 200 I need to come up .300. Scroll down the ballistics and it says I should be 1.5 inches low. Now what happens when I go to shoot at say 600yds. I dial up said amount. Will I be way high because I did not zero according to my Kestrel. Or will I be just fine. I am a little confused by this or have I missed some ting along the way. To be clear I put in all needed info. Put in zero 200yds.. then transfered it to the Kestrel. My bullets are striking right under the center line in the bulls eye. I mean lerally rubbing it. The group measured .675 center to center.. I was using it with my bipod and a roll of paper towel for the rear support. So any thoughts guys and what would you do.
Can you post a picture of the Kestrel data ? It may help others with your problem.

Some shooters will Zero to 200 because they only shoot to 350-400 and the drop of the bullet is still in the kill zone so no elevation adjustments.
Doesn't matter what you Zero at 100, 200 with a Kestrel or any other Ballistic program. They all go off of the ZERO point and calculate drop from there. Just make sure you are using MOA or Mil the same with your scope and ballistic program.

Some shooters will Zero to 200 because they only shoot to 350-400 and the drop of the bullet is still in the kill zone so no elevation adjustments.
Doesn't matter what you Zero at 100, 200 with a Kestrel or any other Ballistic program. They all go off of the ZERO point and calculate drop from there. Just make sure you are using MOA or Mil the same with your scope and ballistic program.
I personally have never understood a 100yd zero for a midrange hunting gun. Or anything capable of much longer range.
seems like you are just requiring yourself to start making adjustments sooner.?

I personally have never understood a 100yd zero for a midrange hunting gun. Or anything capable of much longer range.
seems like you are just requiring yourself to start making adjustments sooner.?
While setting it at some value other than 100 yds may have an advantage, actually zeroing at 100 minimizes wind deflection, depending on local conditions. Once a "true" zero is established, one can set to whatever zero range you desire, and then verify.