Question about the new Ruger 300 AAC...

crazyhorse

Having been a Remington guy for most of time shooting PR (own several that have had all the action work, custom bbl, etc.) I don't know much about other brands frankly because I've never really had a need to look elsewhere.

Lately I've got the bug to own a bolt gun in the little 300AAC, blackout, whatever you want to call it lol! A couple buddies have them and with a can they are a ton of fun and cheap to reload. Remington made one at one time with a threaded 16" bbl and the cheap hogue over molded stock, but I can't seem to find one anywhere new (discontinued?) and the used prices are ridiculous for what you are actually getting in a factory Remington with a cheap stock. The one s I have seen shoot really good and I believe it's more to do with a low pressure low velocity round than the rifle.

All of that to say this... Ruger just came out with the Americzn Ranch rifle which has a 16" threaded bbl and synthetic stock for what I consider a reasonable price (around $450 retail) and they are available. It comes with a pic rail built in to the action which saves on bases and looks to be just what I want. The only thing is I don't know much if anything about a Ruger.

Anyone know anything or have any experience with this little rifle?

Thanks!

CDNN has the Remington Model 7 AAC .300BLK rifles on sale for $599. They're sold out at the moment, but usually have the Ruger American .300BLK for $379. The .300 is neat in an AR if you really need something to be quiet besides a 9mm, but there are a lot of things I'd prefer in a bolt action over it for shooting suppressed, assuming it is for hunting.

Having been a Remington guy for most of time shooting PR (own several that have had all the action work, custom bbl, etc.) I don't know much about other brands frankly because I've never really had a need to look elsewhere.

Lately I've got the bug to own a bolt gun in the little 300AAC, blackout, whatever you want to call it lol! A couple buddies have them and with a can they are a ton of fun and cheap to reload. Remington made one at one time with a threaded 16" bbl and the cheap hogue over molded stock, but I can't seem to find one anywhere new (discontinued?) and the used prices are ridiculous for what you are actually getting in a factory Remington with a cheap stock. The one s I have seen shoot really good and I believe it's more to do with a low pressure low velocity round than the rifle.

All of that to say this... Ruger just came out with the Americzn Ranch rifle which has a 16" threaded bbl and synthetic stock for what I consider a reasonable price (around $450 retail) and they are available. It comes with a pic rail built in to the action which saves on bases and looks to be just what I want. The only thing is I don't know much if anything about a Ruger.

Anyone know anything or have any experience with this little rifle?

Thanks!

Remington still makes them... You just have to know where to look... :D

I prefer the 700 Tactical over the 700 AAC... I don't like the barrel design of the AAC rifles. Plus, Bud's has these in stock.

Remington 700 TACT 300 BLK OUT $620.00 SHIPS FREE

I like the 700 Tactical over the AAC as well for the same reason, don't like the barrel profile on the AAC. Call me crazy but I'm just not an AR guy, spent plenty of time behind one and they just don't appeal to me like a bolt gun. Besides the bolt is a little more quiet than the AR when suppressed due to the lack of action noise.

I've got plenty of other guns to hunt with but the little blackout is just a lot of fun to shoot and using +\- 10 grains of powder it's cheap!

Apparently the little Ruger is pretty popular right now as my local dealer checked with 6 different suppliers and can't get one anytime soon. The Remington is in stock for $675, and it just makes my butt itch to pay that much for such a small caliber considering Remington's recent history. Oh well, guess I will wait until they become available or the urge grows strong enough to make me spend the money.

The Ruger was quoted @ $399

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.