Question about Sitka clothing

Kingfish01

I've been looking into Sitka clothing recently because I've seen lots of places have sales. since this line is so expensive, I want to be sure what I'm getting
1) Their camo patterns:
I hunt in the north east, pennsylvania and maryland Between oct-dec. Which of their camo patterns are best styled for this environment?

2)Temps:
I hunt In temps that range as low as 20 degreescto about 55 degrees. I'm more concerned about the lower temps since I sit in a tree stand. Which types of bibs/coat are recommended for these temps?

any help is appreciated, thanks

I have almost every piece of clothing they have. I'll do my best to answer your questions.

Pattern, I would suggest Elevated II. This is there whitetail pattern. I also wear this pattern for spring turkey and western big game.

The idea behind the high end clothing companies is layering. Having a "system" is the best way to deal with ALL conditions. Given your situation, I would start with the Stratus Pant and Bob as well as the Fanatic hoody. Once you get those pieces, you will then add more pieces to your system. After those I would get the Core long underwear (both light weight and heavy weight) and the Equinox Pants.

Hope this helps.
Steve

Thanks for that bit of information. My only hesitation is to spend that kind of money site unseen. There is a bass pro shop near me which I think is one of their retailers. I should really take a trip over there and see what they have. I'm thinking that they probably don't have much of an inventory this time of year

Sizing wise, I would order 1 size larger than you normally wear. I normally wear a medium, however, all my Sitka are size large.

I've been looking at the Stratus jacket and bibs, and the Incinerator jacket and bib. I had an opportunity to try the incinerator clothing and they were very warm, but very pricey while still on sale.
I'm curious if anyone can tell me the temp rating for the Stratus line
i usually just wear a t-shirt and a light pullover jacket underneath my hunting jacket

Then you ain't hunting in very cold conditions.

The Incinerator is for extreme cold weather conditions. The Stratus I would say with proper layering is probably good well below the 20 degrees.

Ok, a Cold time for me is about 20 at its coldest, and that's with wind hitting me. I'm in MD and PA near Pittsburgh
forgot to mention, I typically wear Walls insulated coveralls over jeans and the light pullover

I'm from Wisconsin and hunt out of state with archery only. I hunt in conditions as cold as -21 below (without windchill) to 85+ degrees. From tree stands to spot and stalk. If you are sitting in a tree with walls clothing and a light pullover and jeans in 20 degrees without windchill for hours......save your money!

BF, I usually sit in the woods where it's a bit warmer, and I'll use some hand warmers in pockets , etc. the Walls coveralls aren't perfect, and they aren't as easy to walk around in. would the stratus jacket and bibs, together, be warmer than Walls insulated coveralls?

The Stratus suit will be the warmest suit that you can actually wear to and from the stand. The incinerator would have to be packed in as it is bulky and extremely warm.

Thanks for those very informative answers. One last question, the camo pattern for the Stratus is intended for people up in a tree. Does that mean it doesn't work if you're sitting on the ground? Because I know they sell a different camo for ground walking. That is a major flaw if you can't use the clothing in both a tree or the ground. How does the tree camo work on the ground?

Kingfish01

The Elevated II pattern is perfectly fine on the ground. I stalked a mule deer to 10 yards on the ground in it. Don't worry about camo. I've been super close to animals in blaze orange.

Steve

You might want to check at a Sheel's they have some Sitka gear near me but other than that, not sure. I live in an area with not a lot of sporting good stores or gun shops. Just my .02

I just got it. The medium seems to fit me well it doesn't seem as thick as I thought it would be but I really won't know until I try it out in the cold. The quality seems very good though

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.