Question about Seekins Bottom Metal

SHRTSHTR

I currently have Badger M5 BM. If I load to max magazine length, I am .126 away from the lands.

I would like to switch out the Badger BM for the Seekins BM. I cuurently have McMillan A5 stock and Stiller TAC 338 action.

Does anyone know if this can be done and will it butcher up the stock if I were to do this? Guess what I am looking for is a how too? lightbulb Thanks in advance.

You will have to re-inlet the stock to accept the Seekins bottom metal as it is different from the Badger. May also have to re-bed it depending on how it was bedded to accept the Badger piece.

It can be done, it all depends on how much work you want to put into it.

Thanks Joel,

I don't really like the idea of not being able to adjust seating depth of the bullets. I could single feed, but it seems kind of a shame to have a magazine and not use it.

Should have went with a single feed in the 1st place :rolleyes: Thanks again Joel!

Ray

Sorry for the late reply. I have been fishing since last Wednesday.

Joel,

Could you explain what you mean by this:

"Ray,
Just a thought... when you re-chamber you could throat it for the bullets that it likes.. "

Thanks,

Ray

You will essentially be shortening the throat so that you'll reduce the .126" jump to the lands. That way you'll be close to the lands and still be able to use the mag that you have with the Badger bottom metal.

That is initially what I wanted to do to my 300WSM. I had it purposely long throated to handle the big bullets, but the smith made it a little longer than I wanted. It ended up causing pressure problems and ES issues. We didn't follow through because we found out the barrel was shot out. That would be a whole lot less work than trying to fit new bottom metal and re-bed the stock.

Tank

Try a Wyatts Outdoors box magazine with a standard M700 floorplate. This will give you up to 3.910" COAL. What cartridge are you shooting??

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.