Question about scope base for Savage rifle

Werewolf1021

So, I am a complete newbie to all things long range. I just picked up a new rifle (Savage 11 Trophy Hunter XP in .308) and have a few questions to get started shooting some targets.

As I said, I have a Savage 11 Trophy hunter in .308 that came with a Nikon scope, some rings, and a 2 piece base.

After reading some thread on this website, I decided to buy a Zeiss Conquest 3-9X40mm from Opticsplanet for an awesome deal of $377 using a 10% off coupon promotion they have going on. I also wanted to upgrade the rings to Burris Signature Zee rings but have not bought them yet. The nikon scope and rings are going on my Ruger 1022.

That leaves the scope base. I have no idea of the quality of the base that came with this rifle.

I plan on shooting out to ranges no farther than 750-800 yards. If I ever want to go further, I plan on upgrading to a different scope.

First, can anyone recommend a scope base for this rifle? Or should I keep the stock base?

Second, should this base be 0 MOA or a higher MOA (like 20?) for shooting at these ranges? I realize it will vary based on the round used, but i would like a ball park. The Zeiss has 64 MOA (I believe) total adjustment, so 32 MOA each direction.

Love this site, and it has been very helpful. Thanks in advance. :cool:

Also, if anyone has any other suggestions for rings I would like to hear them.

Go and zero what you got, then figure out how much "wasted" elevation you used up. If your useable elevation remaining lets you shoot to 750-800 yards then leave it alone. If you need more MOA then add a canted base. My BA10 zero ate up 35 MOA of my scopes elevation so I added a 40 MOA base.

I like Ken Farrell one piece bases for Savages.

A 308 is going to drop ~ 200 inches by 800 yards.
That is ~ 20 moa correction with a 200 yard zero.
I have never been able to get hunting accuracy with more than 8 moa correction...That's why I stalk to within 500 yards.

I own ~ 100 pairs of scope rings, almost all of them Weaver type.

I do not see any difference in performance in my application, all the way from the ultra heavy steel expensive sniper rings all the way down to the cheapest Aluminum Chinese import. They all hold a zero. I do see a difference in weight, size, and height.
I like to get the scope objective bell as close to the barrel as possible. For 40mm objective lens, that means "LOW" rings.

The compromise rings for me are Burris tactical rings. They are medium cost, medium weight, made in China out of Aluminum, and work well for me.

Sometimes they sell single rings. Watch out for that $56 should buy a pair
Burris Xtreme Tactical Picatinny Style Rail 1" Weapon Rings w/ Free S&H 420183 420182 420181 420180

Attachments

• Capture 2.jpg
    Capture 2.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 161
I have DNZ mount on my 10. Had it for about a year with no issues. Went with DNZ because its one piece mount. No separate base and rings to deal with. They have a 20MOA version too.

Attachments

• DNZ.jpg
    DNZ.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 301
A 308 is going to drop ~ 200 inches by 800 yards.
That is ~ 20 moa correction with a 200 yard zero.
I have never been able to get hunting accuracy with more than 8 moa correction...That's why I stalk to within 500 yards.

I own ~ 100 pairs of scope rings, almost all of them Weaver type.

I do not see any difference in performance in my application, all the way from the ultra heavy steel expensive sniper rings all the way down to the cheapest Aluminum Chinese import. They all hold a zero. I do see a difference in weight, size, and height.
I like to get the scope objective bell as close to the barrel as possible. For 40mm objective lens, that means "LOW" rings.

The compromise rings for me are Burris tactical rings. They are medium cost, medium weight, made in China out of Aluminum, and work well for me.

Sometimes they sell single rings. Watch out for that $56 should buy a pair
Burris Xtreme Tactical Picatinny Style Rail 1" Weapon Rings w/ Free S&H 420183 420182 420181 420180

I agree, I use these Burris Xtreme rings on all of my scopes and EGW bases on all of my rifles...I've never had any issues with this combination. BTW--I hand lap all of my rings.
Good luck!

Here they are on my rifle on top of an EGW 20 MOA Picatinny rail. Never had any issues with either.

joseph

Attachments

• bling .JPG
    bling .JPG
    102.6 KB · Views: 325
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.