Question about reloading 223

Elkwonder

I know that when reloading most cartridges, good brass is paramount for accuracy. However, I have a 223 bolt gun that I want to start reloading for and have an AR 15 as well. Can I use the cheap bulk 223 ammo and reload from that brass, or should I just shoot the cheap stuff in the AR and then get lapua brass and reload that for my bolt gun? It will kinda suck having two different loads for two different guns when they are the same caliber, but oh well...... What say you?

If you want to get the best accuracy out of your bolt gun, I think you will want to build loads specifically tuned for that gun. Those loads may, or may not, work well in the AR

I would shoot the cheap stuff out of the AR and load for the bolt gun . You can get great accuracy out of the AR also. My AR shoots great with loads out of my bolt. I always tailor my loads to my weapon though. You don't have to shoot Lapua brass to get great loads. I use it in my .308 but use Federal in my .223's and have great results. If you can afford the Lapua I would shoot it but if not Remington or Federal will do nicely. Bottom line, tailor a load for each weapon and shoot the cheap stuff too. Clear as mud..

Wonder, my son and I use various picked up range brass and a small base die for the AR's. We load Lapua brass using standard dies for the .223 bolt rifle and Varget. The bolt rifle is used by my young grandsons and they are beginning to shoot it well.

I have 7 .223's 5 are AR's I have found that I can usaully find a load that shoots MOA or better out of them all if I match the bullet weight to the powder used. I can get better accuarcy from spicific guns playing around with seating depth but usually don't bother. I have been able to get 1/2 MOA with any brass I have tried as long as I don't mix brands and trim them all to the same length. What kind of accuracy are you happy with out of the bolt gun?

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.