Question about neck turning & necking down

JBT

I just got a gun that requires both (300 Baer). This is the first time that I've had to do this.Do I turn the neck first or size the neck down first? I tried sizing a couple down first, but I had problems getting the neck turner in the neck. Can someone please help guide me along? Thank you.

I size first then expand the neck then trim the necks you will need to use a expander mandrel. I use a K&M neck turner with his expander and pilot. Don't use the turning pilot to expand the neck because of the elasticity of the brass it will spring back and be too tight and may gal the inside of your neck.
Crow Mag

Being very new to long range shooting I don't get to help folks out much around here. I just suck up information. But as for neck turning I know this.....You can't do better than the K&M tool. The owner is a good man to deal with also. When I bought mine, he shipped the tool with an invoice the next morning.

I also highly recommend the K&M. I use the inside cutting mandrell that eliminates doughnuts on my wildcats (a one time case prep thing. Necks are PERFECT.

The trick is getting the proper speed for cutting and maintaining it through the cut. I use a powerful electric screwdriver and hold the case in my other hand. I firmly believe this should not be bolted to a bench.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.