Question about my rotating bushing on reamer?

Jeffrthehunter

I got a new Manson reamer for a 6.5 284 build. The bushing is knife sharp at the leading edge and scratches the lands ( I was checking fit by hand, pretty tight). Can I chuck up the bushing in my lathe a just hand polish a radius to the leading edge. I can not see a problem with doing this but thought I would ask the experts.

Thanks, Jeff

I wouldn't chuck it up in anything. If it can't be fixed by holding it in your fingers and a stoning it, I would send it back and ask for another one.

I wouldn't chuck it up in anything. If it can't be fixed by holding it in your fingers and a stoning it, I would send it back and ask for another one.
I would probably turn up an aluminum mandrel to press the bushing on. Then use a hard stone to break edge.

The bushing should not fit the bore too tightly, nor too loosely,, it should be a gentle slip fit. You should be able to stone that rough edge off. But, I would not hold it in a lathe chuck, too much of a chance to egg shape the bushing. "pressing" the bushing on to a mandrel might deform it also. If "pressed on", there might be a problem removing it. Don't over complicate an easy task. Hold it with your fingers and use a medium stone to bevel the offending edge.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.