Question about Lee hand press

william101

I've used this little press to make some pretty accurate 260 Remington loads and was pondering trying a 338 Lapua. How far-fetched would this be, and would it work do you think? Our small apartment doesn't allow size-wise for a reloading bench unfortunately. Thanks for any help and hopefully I don't get flamed too bad for this idea lol
PS yes I'm fairly strong workout everyday.

That's a "no-go" there OP.

Look at specs for hand press "accepts overall length of cartridge up to 3.650"

Then check out the coal of the 338lap and you'll see that the math doesn't add up.

I have successfully used my Lee Hand Press to load 375 H&H to COAL's exceeding 4 inches. All brass was full length sized. No one would mistake me for a Hulk. Imperial sizing wax is good stuff.

For several years, I lived a mobile life that required a minimalist approach to hand loading. I was able to fit everything I needed (minus components) into a single plastic ammo can. Loading was more time consuming, but did not sacrifice performance.

With a little creativity, a minimalist approach to a loading bench can also create something that will take up very little space, while making your life considerably easier. I have just such a setup now. It was eminently worth the time and trouble.

Last edited:
I made a very useable reloading setup with my dresser, an rcbs press, a c-clamp and a small piece of plywood almost two decades ago. You can do great things with a little motivation. Lee loaders are cool items, but no need in this case. Post pics after you figure it out. Id love to see what you come up with. Good luck

I've been wondering if the Lee hand press would work for reloading 28 Nosler in the field.
Could it full length size with Imperial sizing wax,
or could it at least deprime, neck size and seat the bullets?

I started out with a Lee handpress. I still have it, though I haven't had use for it in many years. It isn't very comfortable to use if full length sizing. The Lyman is better.

I lived in a 14"x52" trailor back then, space was at a premium. I found an old metal 4 legged stool and c-clamped an RCBS partner press to it. My scale was set on the kitchen table. I used a Lee dipper in place of a measure.

When I was done, all the small stuff went into a small tool box and the stool went in the closet.

I have various Lee products and they do work.
I have a Lee collet sizer die on custom order for my 28 Nosler.
Does anyone know if the Lee hand press is capable of neck sizing and seating 28N cartridges?
It would be great if I could load at the range for load development and even load when I'm put on a 2 week hunt.

The Lee hand press is at its best when sizing small cases, and seating bullets it was not intended to be used to full length size large cases because of it's strength and effort to operate using big cases, hence
the COAL length limit.

It is a great tool for the range when working up loads if you prep the cases and prime at home and carry the bullets, powder, scales to the range and start working up your powder charge by loading one at a time and based on velocity and pressure you can load the increased powder charge until you reach your goal of velocity or pressure limits without having to pull all of the over pressure loads you loaded when you get back home.

It also works well to neck size only on any case within the length limits
of the press. also you could use it to reload on a hunting trip if having all of the necessary components was not more trouble than simply loading more ammo than necessary for a normal hunt.

I like to use mine on/with prepared cases sized and primed at home
so the hardest part is already done.

Just me

J E CUSTOM

If you want a portable bench/ press look at workmate bench. Harbor Freights sells their version also. CL has used one for as low as 25 bucks. Mount your standard single stage and have at it.

I've used a Lee Hand held for years in a small apartment. FL resize on 223 or partial resize on 308/ 30-06. Anything more I'd mount a standard single stage on a foldable workmate bench.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.