question about illuminated recticle scopes

vegas steve

most illuminated recticle scopes have a reostat mounted in the rear bell of the scope to change the brightness of the rectical. mine has an etched rectical mounted in the rear bell of the scope and when you grab the rear diopeter adjustment ring you can move the rectical a small amount if you try and briskly wiggle the adjustment ring. i have seen this movement on most brands of scopes,even nightforce and valdada. my question is, will the point of impact get disrupted if this adjustment ring is moved or does it not get affected as the windage and elevation adjustments are in the center of the scope?

most illuminated recticle scopes have a reostat mounted in the rear bell of the scope to change the brightness of the rectical. mine has an etched rectical mounted in the rear bell of the scope and when you grab the rear diopeter adjustment ring you can move the rectical a small amount if you try and briskly wiggle the adjustment ring. i have seen this movement on most brands of scopes,even nightforce and valdada. my question is, will the point of impact get disrupted if this adjustment ring is moved or does it not get affected as the windage and elevation adjustments are in the center of the scope?

If you don't lock it down the POI will change.

J E CUSTOM

Nightforce was mentioned in the first post. I have a few NXS nightforces and none of them wiggle, and yes they do have the lock ring on the onocular focus.

This adjustment was also refered to as a fast focus. So one might want to look into what this adjudtment is best used for. I only use it to adjust the view of the cross hairs to a crisp picture while looking into a solid view like the sky. Then it is locked down and is done. I was under the belief this was the intended purpose of this adjustment. At least on the scopes I own.

Jeff

must have been an older nightforce i looked at then because it did not provide a locking ability for the rear ocular. it's alright guys i'll just do a test myself to get the answers.

This adjustment was also refered to as a fast focus. So one might want to look into what this adjudtment is best used for. I only use it to adjust the view of the cross hairs to a crisp picture while looking into a solid view like the sky. Then it is locked down and is done. I was under the belief this was the intended purpose of this adjustment. At least on the scopes I own.

Jeff[/QUOTE]

You are dead on Jeff ! That is its intended use .

It is to adjust the cross hairs to your eyes (Most peoples eyes are different and this will clear
the cross hairs up)

If it is not set to your eyes it may have a double look and accuracy will suffer.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.