Question about factory 5.56/223 ammo for yote

I've had great luck using factory Hornady 55 gr spire points. They are cheap, real accurate from both of my 223's, and make coyotes good and dead real fast.
Coyote double.jpg

Factory go to box for every gun I tried was the hornady 55 grain soft points. Shot 3/4 and less at 100 yds. Dropped coyotes in their tracks. I prefer the nosler 40gr ballistic tip that has that small solid copper base. I lost a coyote with the 40 gr vmax twice in one hunt.I think that little copper piece penetrates further. Maybe its luck. Nosler shoots good and doesnt blow up as much.

As has been said the plain Jane Hornady spire points are a dandy round. I also like the Nosler ballistic tips. Heavier v-max have done well for me, the 40's not so much. Have shot a lot of coyotes with the Berger match bullets in the 20 calibers and really like them. Judd Cooney has written a ton of articles for FFG saying the 52 and 53 grain Sierra HP Match bullets are one his favorite and most reliable .22 caliber bullets for coyotes and bobcats. I have shot a few coyotes with them and got along real well. Just like anything else, shot placement is the key. Good luck.

Reading through this thread, I see a lot of preferences. I am not going to try to sell anyone on one particular ammunition manufacturer or bullet type. I have taken yotes with just about every caliber under the sun from .17 to .270. The one thing I can honestly say is that no matter the bullet type, shot placement is everything, even on a mangy song dog. I think the real question that needs to be answered is "what does your rifle like to eat?" Find the ammo that best performs with your rifle and use it. FMJ's and Match bullets will do the job on a coyote.....as long as the shooter does their job.

55 gr Vmax or 53 Superformance are both tried and true rounds for coyotes. I'll shoot either but my AR loves the 55 Vmax in .223.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.