Question about "de-milled" ammo.

Gunner1

I recently ordered some .300 Win Mag military pull down primed brass. Since it was already loaded ammo and is unfired I shouldn't have to trim it right? Maybe just run it through the resizer with the decapper adjusted all the way up?

I doubt you will have to trim it but should check it anyways.
What manufacturer (head stamp)? I would size it like any other new brass and check the fit in your chamber. The issue stuff being put through the M2010's has been Federal Premium.

I doubt you will have to trim it but should check it anyways.
What manufacturer (head stamp)? I would size it like any other new brass and check the fit in your chamber. The issue stuff being put through the M2010's has been Federal Premium.

It's Federal brass.

I have not seen this ammo but most "de-milled" ammo that I have seen, 30-06 and 7.62 NATO has had the primers killed.

How was the brass shipped to you? If it was in a air tight ammo box or sealed plastic bag it may be OK. If not I would only size about 10 cases, reload it and shoot it over a chronograph. If the shots hold a very good average velocity OK. If the answer is NO, For safety run them through the rifle fire the primers and then treat them as once fired brass.
I take it these shells were for sniper training Vietnam era or 1000 yd. competition and do not have crimped in primers so it should be pretty straight forward sizing and de-priming these cases. Good Luck

How was the brass shipped to you? If it was in a air tight ammo box or sealed plastic bag it may be OK. If not I would only size about 10 cases, reload it and shoot it over a chronograph. If the shots hold a very good average velocity OK. If the answer is NO, For safety run them through the rifle fire the primers and then treat them as once fired brass.
I take it these shells were for sniper training Vietnam era or 1000 yd. competition and do not have crimped in primers so it should be pretty straight forward sizing and de-priming these cases. Good Luck

Suppossedly it's 100% new production. Here's a pic:

300-win-mag-federal-primed-brass-100-ct.jpg

I would worry that the primers was exposed to moisture in storage or shipping. They may not give uniform ignition and velocity. Its your call. Good Luck

I've bought some of that brass and loaded it. Just dumped in powder and seated a bullet. Neck tension varies but for what I needed it for it was fine-shot about as well as anything else.

My question is why is the government buying all that ammo, they are selling demiled ammo in calibers that the military never used. 458 Lott?, 300Savage?,7WSM?,300WSM?, 7RM?, 300RUM???

I've bought some of that brass and loaded it. Just dumped in powder and seated a bullet. Neck tension varies but for what I needed it for it was fine-shot about as well as anything else.

My question is why is the government buying all that ammo, they are selling demiled ammo in calibers that the military never used. 458 Lott?, 300Savage?,7WSM?,300WSM?, 7RM?, 300RUM???

I asked that too when I was able to locate some primed Federal 7WSM "pulled down" brass. Seemed odd to me that there would be a govt contract to pull apart 7 WSM ammo. ????

Did you say 458 Lott, from the govt? Hmmmm :rolleyes:

Suppossedly it's 100% new production. Here's a pic:

View attachment 46200
I have some new (unfired) Federal 1993 Gold Medal Match brass that was de-milled (bullets pulled and powder dumped). A buddy bought about 250 pieces, and left about 100 of them here, and told me to keep them. So I loaded up a few for ladder-test loads. Never got around to testing them, then I found some Norma .300 WM brass, and ordered it.

E16CD8B0-525F-448B-8D47-55C436117FD4_zpstklzuyn5.jpg

1F9BF206-3960-45DD-9F1C-37D321A4A265_zpstmdd8osd.jpg

I discovered a couple things about this brass:

1.In a 100 count bag they had 3 270WSM brass in with the 7WSM brass and of the 3 270WSM's I managed to stuff a 7mm bullet right in and shoot 2 of them before realizing it. I made perfect 7WSM brass out of them and then resized them right back to 270WSM. This may have caused a problem if the load I was using wasn't a little conservative and the bullets weren't seated out far enough that they hald the case back in the proper position. As it was the primers were FLAT(they actually probably backed out a bit then got flattened by the case coming back(tophatted)).

CHECK HEADSTAMPS!

2. Apparently, ATK failed to fulfill a military ammo contract. In the terms of the contract they had to make up the rest of whatever contract they had with commercial ammo. This ammo was delivered to the gov't and then sent to be demil'd. This explains the strange combination of demil'd ammo calibers as whatever was available was sent to fulfill the contract.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.