Question About Actions

C. Smith

This is my first post and have enjoyed all the information on this sight. I am looking for a Remington 700 action to start the addiction with. I would like to go with 7mm rem. but not stuck on it. I am looking for second hand gun to use and was wondering what calibers will work if I want to turn it into a 7mm. I am trying to find a 7 mm so there is not question, but for some reason all I come across is the 30-06. I was told that it had to be an action from a magnum caliber in order to be converted. What direction do I need to go?

Thanks,
Cody

if 7MM Rem. Mag is what you want, you need mag bolt face and action length. Also, in my area iof montana rem. 700's in 7mm mag. are just about on EVERY used gun rack.

Buying a used rifle can be risky. It's not hard to shoot out a barrel real quick in a 7RM if a guy takes it to the range and cranks out 3 boxes of ammo through it with out letting the barrel cool which I observed one day. I just had to shake my head.

If you buy a used rifle, it's best to buy it from the original owner and one you trust. Ask how many rounds were through it and how it was cared for and see if you can take it to a smith and get it bore scoped. I would guess most of the rifles you see in pawn shops have bad bores. I bought a used Sendero 25-06 from the second owner who hadn't shot it but wasn't sure how many rounds were through it. It was less than two years old. I had it bore scoped and found out that the bore was completel y fired cracked. It still shoots well though but I am expecting it to go on me at anytime. I did get for a good price which made it worth the action and stock (HS Precision) and will just get it rebarreled when the time comes.

So if you buy a used rifle, dont pay top dollar for it unless you know for sure the bore is in good shape. I wouldn't pay any more than $400 for a SS Rem in a standard stock.

If you want good accuracy without a lot of hassel, then save up and buy a good new rifle like a Sub MOA Howa or a Savage.

Mark

Thanks for the help gentlemen. After searching through the site and reading your replies, I think I will save my lunch money and buy new. It seems like I will end up spending just as much either way.

Cody

This is my first post and have enjoyed all the information on this sight. I am looking for a Remington 700 action to start the addiction with. I would like to go with 7mm rem. but not stuck on it. I am looking for second hand gun to use and was wondering what calibers will work if I want to turn it into a 7mm. I am trying to find a 7 mm so there is not question, but for some reason all I come across is the 30-06. I was told that it had to be an action from a magnum caliber in order to be converted. What direction do I need to go?

Thanks,
Cody

Any of the belted magnums with a .540 bolt face will work.

For a list look on the Gunsmithing thread and the first post will have all the ones
you need to look for.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.