Question about Ackley Improved

Someone wanted to know more about one of the rounds in the lineup here it is I shoot Sierra 69gr and 77gr HP, "at rail gun speeds" and yes they stabilize I figure I get away with it since they have that short bearing surface.

Dean
IMG_0320.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0318.jpg
    IMG_0318.jpg
    839.3 KB · Views: 64
The Frankfort seater sure looks like a good deal - I think I will get one - thanks to nkyshooter! I can live without a .20 sleeve as I have a Hornady seater for the .20's.

As for erosion - to FF using 8-15 grains of pistol powder & COW @ about 20K PSI compared to FF using bullets & full charges of rifle powder @ up to 60K PSI - I think the FF using bullets would erode much more. I'm thinking of all that rifle powder burning in the within the case & first 1-3 inches of barrel and generating up to 60K PSI.

Bullets are expensive and scarce and most shooters like to have 100-500 rounds on hand and COW FF would save that many bullets and much scarce & expensive powder. I think of using COW FF ammo much like using factory ammo and at 60K PSI the next time its completely formed.

I think a 7-8 twist .22 CM would be as good as it gets for a .22, no FF needed.

I like my 6mm AI more than I thought I would. I run it at the same speed as my 6mm but at somewhat lower pressures and get better case life and almost no trimming needed. I COW FF cases in my garage shooting into a 5 foot long piece of 3 inch PVC pipe.

As for trimming - just trimmed 200, .223 cases that grew almost .030 after 6 cycles, a .223 AI would have prevented that.

I don't think I will go for a 6mm version of this:

Last edited:
That must be a really old artical I have at least 8 rigs that will send projectiles over 5000fps. 220SwiftAI, 22-243AI, 243Middlestead, 22-06AI 6mmMachIV, 6mmWSM, 6mmRum, 6-06AI and several other that are knocking on 5000fps Door, I don't always load them like that but it is never an issue if I choose to.

Dean

That must be a really old artical I have at least 8 rigs that will send projectiles over 5000fps. 220SwiftAI, 22-243AI, 243Middlestead, 22-06AI 6mmMachIV, 6mmWSM, 6mmRum, 6-06AI and several other that are knocking on 5000fps Door, I don't always load them like that but it is never an issue if I choose to.

Dean
The paper it's printed on has turned brown......... She's Old

I guess it is just like anything else, progress and technology will eventualy make almost everything obsolete.

Dean

I'm liking them more and more not so much for speed but just as much for not having to trim brass, I hate it!
And, they just look badass. Definitely adds a cool factor. Years ago, it never interested me, and , I actually walked away from a steal of a deal, that I've kicked myself a caboodle of times ever since.
I agree 100% with Brother Bean, with the propellants we have now, a difference can truly be made, with the added powder capacity, that is moreso a velocity boost, then what it used to be, ir what it may have been at one time. In my case, I have 26 inches of real estate in front of the payload. Regardless of velocity gain, I believe the original purpose, was to reduce trimming, a well fitting cartridge to the chamber, which aids in better head spacing, ( proper resizing assumed), and the velocity, a secondary gain. Long actions with long barrels get the best advantage obviously. Overall once educated, its advantages override the disadvantages. Just my 2 cents. Once again, nice thread.

I'm liking them more and more not so much for speed but just as much for not having to trim brass, I hate it!
And, they just look badass. Definitely adds a cool factor. Years ago, it never interested me, and , I actually walked away from a steal of a deal, that I've kicked myself a caboodle of times ever since.
I agree 100% with Brother Bean, with the propellants we have now, a difference can truly be made, with the added powder capacity, that is moreso a velocity boost, then what it used to be, or what it may have been at one time. In my case, I have 26 inches of real estate in front of the payload. Regardless of velocity gain, I believe the original purpose, was to reduce trimming, a well fitting cartridge to the chamber, which aids in better head spacing, ( proper resizing assumed), and the velocity, a secondary gain. Long actions with long barrels get the best advantage obviously. Overall once educated, its advantages override the disadvantages. Just my 2 cents. Once again, nice thread

On another note, the gentleman I bought my rig from, actually fire formed his brass in a separate barrel. When I got it,it only had three hundred actual bullets through the bore. My bore, and throat are in excellent condition. It really likes mono bullets, but shoots Fowler match bullets very nicely. Also likes Sierra Blitz Kings also. Groundhogs, not so much!🦌🦌