Question about a Remington VS

Fasteel

Hey fellows

I have A very nice Rem VS laminate in 243. The date code on my serial number suggests this rifle was made in 1985, as the letter F is before the serial number.
I was under the impression that because it has a laminate stock it would have been a newer manufacture?

Did Rem sell rifles with laminate stocks in the mid 1980's?

Thanks Greg

Hey fellows

I have A very nice Rem VS laminate in 243. The date code on my serial number suggests this rifle was made in 1985, as the letter F is before the serial number.
I was under the impression that because it has a laminate stock it would have been a newer manufacture?

Did Rem sell rifles with laminate stocks in the mid 1980's?

Thanks Greg

The date code is on the left side of the barrel just forward of the recoil lug....

The VS model is the one with the HS stock with aluminium bedding block...yours is a VLS

The VLS (heavy barrel laminated stock) was introduced about 1994 or 95 with a BDL Varmint style checkered fore-end with a black tip...the stock was later changed to a beavertail fore-end without the checkering and tip.

The date code is on the left side of the barrel just forward of the recoil lug....

The VS model is the one with the HS stock with aluminium bedding block...yours is a VLS

The VLS (heavy barrel laminated stock) was introduced about 1994 or 95 with a BDL Varmint style checkered fore-end with a black tip...the stock was later changed to a beavertail fore-end without the checkering and tip.

Thanks Twister.
This date code you are referring to, is it underneath the stock?
Thanks Greg

Thanks Twister.
This date code you are referring to, is it underneath the stock?
Thanks Greg

date code is two small letters close together......above the stock line just ahead of the receiver on the left side of the barrel...the month is first...year second.

Rem 700 date codes

1962-J
1963-K
1964-L
1965-M
1966-N
1967-P
1968-R
1969-S
1970-T
1971-U
1972-W
1973-X
1974-Y
1975-Z
1976-I
1977-O
1978-Q
1979-V

1980 is A...follow the complete alphabet to 2005 which is Z.....then start again at A for 2006

Months are as follows

Jan-B
Feb-L
Mar-A
Apr-C
May-K
Jun-P
Jul-O
Aug-W
Sep-D
Oct-E
Nov-R
Dec-X

Twister
Nice piece of information takes us right back to my original question. If 1980 is the letter A and my serial number starts with an F, that puts my rifle at 1985? This can't be because this model wasn't introduced till the mid 1990's
My serial number goes F62342**

Thanks Greg

Twister
Nice piece of information takes us right back to my original question. If 1980 is the letter A and my serial number starts with an F, that puts my rifle at 1985? This can't be because this model wasn't introduced till the mid 1990's
My serial number goes F62342**

Thanks Greg

The serial number has nothing to do with the date code...

the date code is two letters on the barrel

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.