Question about a 3006 case

WhiteOak

I have a Rem. 3006 once fired case that measures the same as a new case , 2.484" in length and shoulder to rim is 2.042 .
Does the once fired case still need to be FL sized ?
I wonder why it didn't stretch ?

Yes it will be used in the same rifle , I have read that for hunting we shouldn't neck size only because of a stuck case.
I'm new to this so I have no experience!
Thanks for the feedback.

Everyone does it differently. My self for my 270, I initially full size then neck size after first firing. Supposed to help with accuracy in a bolt rifle. If out of a batch of 20 or so any give me a difficult time chambering they all get measured/trimmed if necessary and full sized next go. Stuck case or Hard bolt open is a different story.

Thanks guys , 2 more questions.
#1 How do you go about measuring for the shoulder to see if it's in the right place ?

#2 when weighing brass , I've been told to start with the heaviest case first when loading for the start charge , does it really matter if the charge isn't 100 % case volume.
This question comes from reading about guys using different head stamps and they are claiming excellent accuracy and there's no explanation of why during their claim .

Thanks again !

Use a headspace bushing to measure the datum line on the case. If the brass was fired in your rifle folks like to bump the shoulder .001-.002". If reloading to SAMMI the datum line is 2.0456"-2.0526".

I don't intermix loads between headstamps, they often are 1/2-1gr different in powder charge to keep velocities similar so I'll have a powder charge noted for each if I'm loading them all with the same bullet and load in batches. However since I typically have a target and hunting bullet for a given rifle I'll use one headstamp for one and one for another bullet. Within the headstamps there are smaller variations*** and you can weight sort to reduce that down, some folks do, but its not as drastic and for my ranges so I don't at this time.

***If the brass source is unknown or if you have older brass its a good idea to do a quick check in brass weight within a headstamp, I have some new vs old federal brass in 30-06 that has over 30gr weight difference. I sorted that out and set the heavier ones aside for now.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.