Question about a 3006 case

WhiteOak

I have a Rem. 3006 once fired case that measures the same as a new case , 2.484" in length and shoulder to rim is 2.042 .
Does the once fired case still need to be FL sized ?
I wonder why it didn't stretch ?

WhiteOak

Yes it will be used in the same rifle , I have read that for hunting we shouldn't neck size only because of a stuck case.
I'm new to this so I have no experience!
Thanks for the feedback.

bob4

Everyone does it differently. My self for my 270, I initially full size then neck size after first firing. Supposed to help with accuracy in a bolt rifle. If out of a batch of 20 or so any give me a difficult time chambering they all get measured/trimmed if necessary and full sized next go. Stuck case or Hard bolt open is a different story.

WhiteOak

Thanks guys , 2 more questions.
#1 How do you go about measuring for the shoulder to see if it's in the right place ?

#2 when weighing brass , I've been told to start with the heaviest case first when loading for the start charge , does it really matter if the charge isn't 100 % case volume.
This question comes from reading about guys using different head stamps and they are claiming excellent accuracy and there's no explanation of why during their claim .

Thanks again !

pods8

Use a headspace bushing to measure the datum line on the case. If the brass was fired in your rifle folks like to bump the shoulder .001-.002". If reloading to SAMMI the datum line is 2.0456"-2.0526".

I don't intermix loads between headstamps, they often are 1/2-1gr different in powder charge to keep velocities similar so I'll have a powder charge noted for each if I'm loading them all with the same bullet and load in batches. However since I typically have a target and hunting bullet for a given rifle I'll use one headstamp for one and one for another bullet. Within the headstamps there are smaller variations*** and you can weight sort to reduce that down, some folks do, but its not as drastic and for my ranges so I don't at this time.

***If the brass source is unknown or if you have older brass its a good idea to do a quick check in brass weight within a headstamp, I have some new vs old federal brass in 30-06 that has over 30gr weight difference. I sorted that out and set the heavier ones aside for now.

Primary

LRH Assistant
Here are some related products that LRH members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to LRH’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to LRH discussions about these products.

Recent Posts