question: .308 varmit bullets

steve_77

hi all - as wondering about match quality varmit bullets in .308, was looking at speer tnt 125, berger vld 125, hornady vmax 110, barnes, and others - was curious what would you guys would say is the most accurate (benchrest quality) bullet that is highly frangible (to minimize pelt damage) for use on varmits at extended ranges ~350yrds or so. Im not really looking for factory ammo, just wondering if anyone has had any experience or knows of any type of frangible match quality bullets that are available in .308, im looking right now for rounds for coyote and such.

I've use the 125 Ballistic Tip for a lot of critters a few years back, (groundhogs, deer and wild hogs) they kill well and are accurate. I used the 125 TNT in a subsonic load and they worked well but don't expand at those low velocities.

At 350 yards you'll need to examine the remaining velocity to determine expansion or disintegration. I'm thinking for coyote you'll be fine with most projectiles as long as it dosen't hit a big bone and fragments scatter all over.

Most folks that know me will understand when I say to try the 175 Sierra or the 155 Lapua Scenar. They're accurate and at thse distances aren't too likely to cause too much pelt damage. I'm big on using the same round for everything, there's never a doubt as to the trajectory and a good bullet will kill nearly anything when well placed. Plus you'll be albe to shoot whatever shows up (providing it or you are in season).

I think the idea is that the 175, will stay together and act like a FMJ, or expand very little. I have shot yotes out to 400 meters with the 125gr speer. THEY ARE NASTY! If you want the dogs to die a rather messy death with large exit wounds, use tnt's.

ouch, - wow - ok i guess that resolves that issue -- a "messy death" is not what i was looking for - i really appreciate all you guys' input on this matter - it has been truely helpfull - thanks again
steve
smile.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 23 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.