question...300 wby barrel length

big_matt_duq

ok so i found a gun i like but the catch is that it is a 22 in barrel with a custom brake on it. so is it worth going for knowing ill have to rebarrel later? how much spped am i gonna loose? i wanna shoot the 208 gr amax. could i still use rl 25 or retumbo or would i have to go faster?
thanks,
matt

ok so i found a gun i like but the catch is that it is a 22 in barrel with a custom brake on it. so is it worth going for knowing ill have to rebarrel later? how much spped am i gonna loose? i wanna shoot the 208 gr amax. could i still use rl 25 or retumbo or would i have to go faster?
thanks,
matt

A 300 Weatherby with a 22" barrel IMO is kind of defeating the purpose of having a magnum. You will lose about 35-40' per inch of barrel length. You may indeed need a little faster powder than the above mentioned........Rich

thats pretty much what im thinking. its gonna be like a 308 with the muzzle blast of a 50 cal. haha. its a good deal even if i have to rebarrel though. its startin to get out of what im willing to pay fo a gun im gonna rebarrel though

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.