Quest for a Mile- 300 Win Mag

Bang4theBuck

I have a switch barrel rifle that I would like to get a barrel for to shoot a mile. Once I have achieved that lifelong goal, I would like to be able to use the barrel in a long range hunting situation. There are reasons that are numerous that limit me to a 300 win mag, so changing caliber is not an option, and no it was not my first choice for this task. It looks like I would have to push a Hornady ELDM 225 or equivalent at around 2900 to safely get to a mile without getting too far into the transonic range. I am looking for some input on how realistic that goal is (225 going 2900) I am prepared to go 28 inches on the barrel if I have to. Advice on barrel length, twist, profile and powder that others are using for that distance would be a great help. Thanks in advance.

Full disclosure...I haven't shot this beyond 1300 yet and I'm fairly green... But it'll get me a mile at about 1300fps when I run it in shooter.
215 berger hybrid
RL 26
24" barlein 3b
Bertram brass
3000 fps
On a Savage turd...that shoots..
That 225 should do a touch better even. You good to go with anything similar I would think.
A custom reamer with enough room to seat em out where they belong will give you some fps in most cases...

It's been a good 8 years since my 300 Win Mag days but 7828ssc runs very well in temperatures above 4 degrees F and was my most successful powder for 230-240 grain bullets we used to shoot to 1800 yds.

With the new more efficient 200-215 class of bullets you could use a variety of good powders. If you're really going to settle in for targets at 1500-1700 yards I actually think the 300 Win Mag is one of the best choices. Stout and good enough but not too overpowered.

284 win begins to run out of some gas at 1400-1500 yds but a long barreled 7 Mag or 7-300 makes 1760 not too bad.

Good luck

It's been a good 8 years since my 300 Win Mag days but 7828ssc runs very well in temperatures above 4 degrees F and was my most successful powder for 230-240 grain bullets we used to shoot to 1800 yds.

With the new more efficient 200-215 class of bullets you could use a variety of good powders. If you're really going to settle in for targets at 1500-1700 yards I actually think the 300 Win Mag is one of the best choices. Stout and good enough but not too overpowered.

284 win begins to run out of some gas at 1400-1500 yds but a long barreled 7 Mag or 7-300 makes 1760 not too bad.

Good luck
I found IMR 7828 to be a very good powder for my win mag.
I would check out Warner tool bullets if I was going to get really serious about mile shooting.

Last edited:
Im wondering how many have actually "tried" the theory they suggest?
Watch them fly on their way over there, and you get to find out real fast why the bigger cartridges have become popular.
It aint just gettin it there folks, it's also important to hit things, and with a 300 WM you wont be hittin much at a mile.
It's an excellent cartridge to a point, but a mile is way past the point.
But if your gonna insist, use the lighter bullets and send them as fast as possible, in terms of both speed and amount of lead in the air.

Watch them fly on their way over there, and you get to find out real fast why the bigger cartridges have become popular.
It aint just gettin it there folks, it's also important to hit things, and with a 300 WM you wont be hittin much at a mile.
But if your gonna insist, use the lighter bullets and send them as fast as possible, in terms of both speed and amount of lead in the air.
Op wants to make some hits at a mile. He didn't mention hunting at a mile. He asked what might be possible with the winny. We responded with some loads and speeds achieved to assist him. b.c of .7-.8 moving at 3000 makes it possible. I am being clear I have not shot 1 mile with it tho...yet

Are you saying it can't be done, because you can't do it?
Or, does it upset you that a mile can be had with everyday cartridges? BC, velocity and transonic transition is key, it doesn't matter what size the cartridge.

Are you saying it can't be done, because you can't do it?
Or, does it upset you that a mile can be had with everyday cartridges? BC, velocity and transonic transition is key, it doesn't matter what size the cartridge.

There's plenty of talented shooters who can beat the pants off of supermag 7's, magnum 30's, and magnum 338s in matches to 2200 yards with 6.5x47's, 6.5 PRC's, 6.5 SAUM's, etc.

Given the right setup and barrel length, proving the 300 Win Mag with heavy for caliber bullets at 1760 is not only doable it's real fun too.

Here's a comparison chart of 168 H fast, 185 H, 215 H, and the 230 H. Given the trend I'd run the 215 Hybrid or the 200 that is out.

After 1300 yds BC is king. Muzzle Velocity is a greatly depreciating investment.

300 win mag 168 H 185 H 215 H 230 H DROP.png

300 win mag 168 H 185 H 215 H 230 H Wind.png

At least you know which bullets not to run.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.