Quest for a Mile- 300 Win Mag

Well admittedly that tends to affect opinions on distance.
No doubt the clearer thinner western air has a more positive affect on ballistics and distance shooting.
Average shooters ability wont vary much from coast to coast, but reality is we can only shoot well, as far as the gun and current conditions will allow us.

I don't think anybody is disputing that but the fact remains the same; the OP is simply inquiring.

To the OP;
If you let someone tell you, that you can't, you won't!!!

Several people gave you tips on how, and one says you can't, or you shouldn't, or it's all BS!!
I say, get some good brass, good chrony, good bullets, and start weighing components, get you Es and SD low, and report back with your hits. Your scope choice will definitely play a role. Look for one with tons of elevation and a good thin useable reticle with some good amount of holdover, get everything level and use a good app that calculates scope error, spin drift and coriolis.
Good luck!!

Well admittedly that tends to affect opinions on distance...……..

Everybody has opinions. I wasn't providing an opinion. I provided quantified facts and included the conditions. Two different things altogether.

They say a person with an experience, is never at the mercy of a person with an opinion. Might be something to that.

To the OP;
If you let someone tell you, that you can't, you won't!!!

Several people gave you tips on how, and one says you can't, or you shouldn't, or it's all BS!!
I say, get some good brass, good chrony, good bullets, and start weighing components, get you Es and SD low, and report back with your hits. Your scope choice will definitely play a role. Look for one with tons of elevation and a good thin useable reticle with some good amount of holdover, get everything level and use a good app that calculates scope error, spin drift and coriolis.
Good luck!!

Well said! If I may add, this endeavor does not happen overnight and requires a lot of patience, fund$, time, and efforts, including a dedicated spotter/shooting buddy.

Everybody has opinions. I wasn't providing an opinion. I provided quantified facts and included the conditions. Two different things altogether.

They say a person with an experience, is never at the mercy of a person with an opinion. Might be something to that.

Spot on! There is no substitute for real world experience. The fact is, there are people like yourself, Jeff, and Mitch that are capable with those shots PERIOD. One thing I learned early on when I first joined is that there is always somebody that has far greater knowledge, real world experience, and better shot than I am. Having said that, I keep open mind and be objective and learned to just relax, enjoy, and absorb as much learning I possibly can ... learned a lot since 2008 and still learning ...

Spot on! There is no substitute for real world experience. The fact is, there are people like yourself, Jeff, and Mitch that are capable with those shots PERIOD. One thing I learned early on when I first joined is that there is always somebody that has far greater knowledge, real world experience, and better shot than I am. Having said that, I keep open mind and be objective and learned to just relax, enjoy, and absorb as much learning I possibly can ... learned a lot since 2008 and still learning ...
Agreed, I've come along way since I joined. I had a sporter weight 30-06. Now I'm armed to the teeth with rifles.
I've learned so much.
One thing I've learned, is negativity is just that. I get my fill of it pretty quickly anymore.

Bang4theBuck, Personally I'd like to encourage you to pursue your endeavour. I hope you succeed and please report back with target pics or some video.
Good luck.
I'm jealous I dont have the yardage to do this.

I just googled welding/ Pipe Fitter jobs in Montana, lol.

I sold my 300 win mag which was one of the most accurate guns I ever owned when I went broke in college, but my buddy has a killer Surgeon XL 1581 in a KMW Sentinel Stock and 28" tube that he wants to sell me that I now want to go pickup to make a 1760 video here in Oklahoma at Fouled Bore.

I still have all the brass, bullets, and 230 grain pills on the shelf. : ) We used to shoot a 24x24 out to 1350 and then we went to a 24Wx36"H counterweighted target that would move smoothly when struck for 1500-1800 (at 1000 we had 10-15").Targets and stands are at my pop's garage on the way to the range...

Last edited:

For sure there is, and its also possible to have both,
as opinions quite often come from experience.
And when you come right down to it, isn't that as it should be?
Again, if any of the head nodders want to prove how wrong I am, bring your gun and have at it.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.