Quarter Minute Magnums, any one use him?

COBrad

I am researching a new rifle for 1K marmots. I hunt on the continental divide, elevations between 11,000 and 12,500', so the rifle can't weigh a ton. I spoke with Steve at QMM today. He used to write for Precision Shooting and seems very knowledgeable. His web site shows some very accurate rifles. Does anyone have any experience with his rifles to share?

Haven't heard of them, but if I were in your neck of the woods I'd definitely give Rifle Accuracy Systems a Call. He does absolute first rate work and will stand behind whatever he does for you.

I can't recommend him highly enough.

We have a sponsor here at LRH, maybe two that are in neighboring states as well.

Scott has built me a 280ai, and a 7 mag. Both awesome.

Have not stretched the 280ai yet, but it shot right under 1/4 moa at 200 yards with the first load I tried. Target on his website. It has also shot 4 different bullets better than 1/2 moa at 200 yards with the first load tried. I am still trying to get through a 100 peices of virgin brass before doing any additional load work. I laddered 59g though 62.5g in 1/2g increments at 300 yards and they all came in touching except the 60g load. I didn't measure it but with 8 different powder charges it grouped pretty well, lol.

Attachments

• 280ai 1.JPG
    280ai 1.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 180
My 7 mag, is boring for lack of better words. Consistantly 1/2 moa or better out to 800 yards and really close to half out to a 1000 yards, with a 3.5-4lb trigger.

Fit and finish is great, I had to beg and plead with him to mail me my 7mag when he was done with it, it was my first non-factory rifle. He wanted to strip it down and re-paint the stock because some bedding compound was visible. When I got it I couldn't even tell what he was looking at. To say he is meticulous would be an huge understatement.

jpeaston, are both your rifles tight necked? Is your .280 the one with the Rem. Ti action and 5.5 taper barrel? If so, what does it weigh?

Yup, the 280ai is mine, .313 neck. I never weighed it, probably around 7.5 pound range. Even thought it is ti action, I didn't want a really light rifle. I like how it turned out, balances nicely. It is a great pack rifle with enough weight to stretch it out a ways.

My 7mag is .310 neck, and unturned nosler brass would've worked in mine if your trying to stay away from neck turning.

I'm not opposed to turning necks, if I thought it was really going to be a worth while gain. I have been happy with the Nosler brass. The last box I checked nearly every case neck mic'ed out at .001, or less, variation in thickness and all were within +- .001 in variation between cases. The ones that were out were only another 1 thou off, so I turned them.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.